• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New to Fox Body Mustang - Hello from Florida!

Wareagle32789

So, I just finished up with my last project, and it's on to my newest one: 1991 LX 5.0 5-speed hatch.

Car has been sitting for a bit - will run & drive, but the steering is shot, and needs some overall TLC. Looking for any guidance on where to begin. Radiator leaking and has to go, thinking about an aftermarket aluminum with electric fans.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks -

Tom

broncojunkie

The rag joint in these cars are notorious for going bad. That's the first thing I check. Otherwise, it's just the usual basics....tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings. As for radiators, I've had very good luck out of the 3-row all-aluminum radiators off Ebay. Under $150 and I haven't had one fail yet. Fitment was good (not perfect, but good). I use Chevy hhr single fan from Rockauto and fixed-temp fan controller from Summit. I believe it's Maradyne brand... the one with the threaded sensor (not the probe-style sensor that slides into the radiator).

broncojunkie

Forgot to mention a 3g alternator swap is a must for an electric fan. You probably already know this but it's worth mentioning! In fact, I always suggest a 3g swap regardless, simply because the wiring/connector on the 2g is a fire hazard. The old wiring will eventually fail.

Wareagle32789

Forgot to mention a 3g alternator swap is a must for an electric fan. You probably already know this but it's worth mentioning! In fact, I always suggest a 3g swap regardless, simply because the wiring/connector on the 2g is a fire hazard. The old wiring will eventually fail.
I have a 160-amp alternator to swap in, but haven't done it yet. Is there anything special I need to do to swap over the alternators? I saw one YouTube video where they mentioned adding some sort of a "super fuse"?

broncojunkie

You'll just want to do some reading up on it. Plenty of info and pics online. I'm not a fan of the stock style belt tensioner, so I use an aftermarket bracket setup that eliminates it altogether. As for the fuse, yes... you need one inline with the main cable coming from the alternator. Do yourself a favor and order a breaker instead of fuse and holder. That way, if it blows, you're not stuck on the side of the road digging through the glovebox hoping you have an extra! You'll want one rated slightly higher than what your alternator produces. For my 130a alternators, I use 150a breakers. You might be looking at 200a, unless they make a 175.