• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New to building a 302 have a question

Guvnahman77

Hey everyone....

Have a 92 gt with 88 motor... I decided to make it carbed so I bought some stuff... I have the 302 with gt40p heads I just got a E303 cam airgap intake and a new 600 Holley carb.. the heads I bought have there stock springs. What I want to kno is can I use the springs from my e7heads or do I need to get different ones also what rockers should I use because I’m sure I can’t use the ones from the e7 heads or can I ? Thanks guys

Redtwilight

Shinigami
I believe you might need a little stronger spring with the E cam. Either way it's a good idea to change out the springs for something fresh.
Why not take the opportunity to upgrade to 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers? Just be sure to check piston to valve clearance if you opt for the 1.7's.

broncojunkie

I'm with Redtwilight. With age, the spring rating can probably be thrown out the window anyway. They get weaker over time. I literally just replaced a set I pulled off a pair of reworked/used D0oe-c heads. I believe they were around$100 for a new set, which matched the cam i was using. Cheap insurance, considering possible valve damage from worn or incorrect valve springs.

2.3svx

Always new/upgraded springs with cam swap. More lift compresses spring more and like said above can cause problems on aged springs like valve float, failure to close, etc. Most importantly have fun!