• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New here but not to Fox body's, just bought a 1981 4 eye.

mikeAZ

My son and I have a new to us 1981 T top, 6 cyj., auto. trans. in exceptional overall condition.. Totally ignorant about the earlier car. We are going to rebuild/ replace all that we can. Rock Auto, LMR, CJ Pony pts., is the next stop..... We have an L 3.73 "89" rear axle, 302 engine, 4r70w trans. Lot's of later Fox body parts available. Some questions or direction (did a search here). We haven't tore into her yet.. But will upgrade/renew as much as we can while staying with other/better stock Mustang parts. We are planning on using a 302 engine/ 303 cam / auto trans setup (Have a complete "89" stock K member on hand.). Missing is the master cyl. and power booster. We would like to stay with the disc/drum But are ignorant as to if what later items maybe an improvement? over the 1981 parts?. Would the new 1981 booster will be as good for vacuum retention w/ performance cam engine? Or use later Fox booster & master cyl. since these are missing?. Other directions appreciated Staying as stock as possible?. Next, the lower leather? seats are bad but the upper's are like new.... I haven't seen just the lower's....Some EBay stuff but probably not good quality...Mike

Last edited:

broncojunkie

If you're sticking with 4-lug wheels, simply upgrade to the larger 87-93 spindles and brakes. Same with the mc and booster. You may need to massage the rear of the shock tower a bit to clear the booster. A good set of Hawk pads will greatly improve brake performance.

As for the seats, see if TMI carries the correct covers. If so, contact them directly and see if they can help.

mikeAZ

Thanks for the input... Most of the things you mentioned are being done. Being a 1981 with the straight 6 cylinder we were led to believe that V8's weren't offered that year?... A little searching on the "Net" shows they were? We may be able ton use the original "K" member but up grade to later Fox suspension, spindles,brakes, etc.... Time will tell.. Thanks.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

The 302 was dropped for 80 & 81...replaced with (iirc) a 255 v8. The straight 6 k-member won't work with a v8 but a 4 cyl, v6, or v8 k-member will.

You have any pics of the car? I had an 80 (or was it 81?) T-top many years ago. It was 4 cyl 4 speed and a very interesting color. "Medium Bittersweet Glow". It was a rare color option and I can't even find a decent pic online. Even the color charts are too faded to see it. I plan on painting one of mine some day.