• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need Guidance on selling a 93 Mustang

Trackhawk

Hello All,

I figured this would be a good place to start to figure out how best to sell my Mustang. I didn't want to post this in the classified section since it is more of a question for the community, and I felt it would be improper to post this there. I am trying to figure out how to get the best return on this investment I made a little over 20 years ago. My recent plan was to take this to Meacum Auto Auctions for the fun of selling it there, and probably buying something there as well :) But now the wife has ordered a new ride and insists she gets a spot in the garage due to the hail storms we get. So this car has been garage kept since very shortly after I bought it.

It is a 1993 Mustang GT 5 speed with 31,134 original miles, Black exterior, Gray interior. Clean Carfax of course. This car is unmolested and very original. The only not original remotely mechanical items are a change of mufflers to FlowMaster and K&N Filter and new AC, and cosmetic items that can cheaply returned to factory like.

I was actually the Used Vehicle Manager at a Ford Dealership when this vehicle came in on trade. The guy who traded it literally bought it to take it back to Sweden to sell, evidently they were worth a ton more over there. He only put around 25k on it over 7 years (will verify exact mileage when I bought it), regardless he hardly drove it as it was not his daily driver. During his ownership it sat in the elements of Texas for that period, so much so my Assistant Manager bid it as over 100k miles. Some how it never got hailed on though. The body is perfectly straight, at least as perfect as cars could be near 30 years ago.

These were the issues it had and what I did.
1. Door ding behind driver door - had that pulled - no body work.
2. Paint was sunbaked and clearcoat was peeling. Repainted with factory UA paint - I would say they did a 7/10 job on it, and a complete repaint might be considered by the new owner. From 10 feet, maybe even 5 feet this car looks super clean. If I was going to store this for value I would strip and repaint though.
3. Rims were sun baked - have those originals still in box for the new owner, not sure how those could be restored but if wanted they will go with the car.
4. Headlights and tail lights were yellowed - tail lights are in the box that aftermarket alteezas came in and could easily be restored.
5. The interior was not awful surprisingly but I bought interior paint from LMR to touch up the center console area and several other areas that had discolored. Fixed the ash tray cover, it needs to be re fixed again.
6. The sun shade was missing - bought three on ebay stating they were for a 93, the third one was and fit.
7. The brakes were shot, driving it home both rights locked up, took it back to the dealership and had my service department repair for $751.
8. The rubber around the back side windows were cracked from the sun. Used the plastic covers from LMR as the only aftermarket replacements I could find do not have the original Mustang in white on those windows and from what I recall were $1000 not installed.

Items still to address.
1. Air bag light on - not even sure what that is about. Thinking I will fix this to sell as it might concern someone. The car has never been wrecked, all body panels have the original VIN - I did buy the replacement engine bay stickers so all look new now.
2. Passenger door can not be unlocked by the key but if locked can be unlocked from inside by puling the interior door handle.
3. Battery has a slow drain, I believe from an aftermarket alarm that was installed but not sure, never had it diagnosed, should have I have spent more for batteries than the fix I am sure.
4. One of the plastic pieces that controls the flow of air out of the vent is broken and needs replaced.
5. I converted the AC about 4 years ago, and currently it is not blowing cold but all the parts are new.

Items I did. All items purchased from LMR except tail lights and rims.
Replaced Rims - they are offset with 255/40/17 on front 275/40/17 on back - they do not rub. Painted brake calipers and rear drum red.
Replaced hood insulator with new one
Replaced spark plug wires, and bought near new distributor cover on ebay.
Replaced 5.0 Engine Plaque with near new plaque from ebay.
There are many more as I truly loved to go out and tinker with this thing, at least when the garage wasn't so hot.

I will include with the sale a copy of my business card, original dealer key chain, letterhead with whatever the new owner would like me to write and sign as long as it is factual. I will gladly explain on that letterhead how it went 7 years to go to the mid 20k range in miles and how a green Assistant Manager turned in paper work for it to be over 100k miles for trade in. An original Mustang dealer brochure, original owners manual in great shape.

So my questions are how much of the above stuff should I fix to sell, what kind of price range do you think this car merits, and how best to market it, I was thinking Ebay or Autotrader. I have about 60 days before it gets pushed out of the garage by my wife...

Thank you for reading all this, but this car is a head turner, with what I would say is a great back story for a 3rd owner. Any input would truly be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mustang Front.JPGMustang Left Side.JPGMustang Back.JPG

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Car looks sharp. I would ditch those euro tail lights. I don't care for them, but more importantly, they are widely hated lol. The rear quarter glass moulding can be repaired if you wanted to spend a day or two working on them. Basically, you build up a few layers of high-build primer and then sand smooth. Finish off with SEM trim black.

Definitely find the battery draw and fix it. It's not usually hard to do. If you haven't dealt with this before, it's easy. You just remove either battery cable and connect a meter or test light in between the battery post and terminal. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the amp draw drops (or test light goes out). If your alternator is the culprit, you'll need to disconnect it to find it as it basically connects straight to the battery (through the starter relay). It could be something as simple as a bad vanity light switch (common on these cars).

The issue with the door lock is most likely the power door lock actuator. They like to freeze up over time. Last I checked, they were about $20 on Rockauto. They're a little fiddly to replace, but nothing 4 Miller lights can't handle.

I can't help with the airbag light. My current newest mustang is a 1982 lol! I wouldn't worry too much about the paint. Most of these foxes on the market need paint. Yours is presentable, at least. If you do a proper repaint, it won't be worth the cost. If you know someone who can do a quick, cheap repaint, you may come out ahead. These cars are bringing a premium right now. You picked a good time to sell!

Bruiser013

Hello All,

I figured this would be a good place to start to figure out how best to sell my Mustang. I didn't want to post this in the classified section since it is more of a question for the community, and I felt it would be improper to post this there. I am trying to figure out how to get the best return on this investment I made a little over 20 years ago. My recent plan was to take this to Meacum Auto Auctions for the fun of selling it there, and probably buying something there as well :) But now the wife has ordered a new ride and insists she gets a spot in the garage due to the hail storms we get. So this car has been garage kept since very shortly after I bought it.

It is a 1993 Mustang GT 5 speed with 31,134 original miles, Black exterior, Gray interior. Clean Carfax of course. This car is unmolested and very original. The only not original remotely mechanical items are a change of mufflers to FlowMaster and K&N Filter and new AC, and cosmetic items that can cheaply returned to factory like.

I was actually the Used Vehicle Manager at a Ford Dealership when this vehicle came in on trade. The guy who traded it literally bought it to take it back to Sweden to sell, evidently they were worth a ton more over there. He only put around 25k on it over 7 years (will verify exact mileage when I bought it), regardless he hardly drove it as it was not his daily driver. During his ownership it sat in the elements of Texas for that period, so much so my Assistant Manager bid it as over 100k miles. Some how it never got hailed on though. The body is perfectly straight, at least as perfect as cars could be near 30 years ago.

These were the issues it had and what I did.
1. Door ding behind driver door - had that pulled - no body work.
2. Paint was sunbaked and clearcoat was peeling. Repainted with factory UA paint - I would say they did a 7/10 job on it, and a complete repaint might be considered by the new owner. From 10 feet, maybe even 5 feet this car looks super clean. If I was going to store this for value I would strip and repaint though.
3. Rims were sun baked - have those originals still in box for the new owner, not sure how those could be restored but if wanted they will go with the car.
4. Headlights and tail lights were yellowed - tail lights are in the box that aftermarket alteezas came in and could easily be restored.
5. The interior was not awful surprisingly but I bought interior paint from LMR to touch up the center console area and several other areas that had discolored. Fixed the ash tray cover, it needs to be re fixed again.
6. The sun shade was missing - bought three on ebay stating they were for a 93, the third one was and fit.
7. The brakes were shot, driving it home both rights locked up, took it back to the dealership and had my service department repair for $751.
8. The rubber around the back side windows were cracked from the sun. Used the plastic covers from LMR as the only aftermarket replacements I could find do not have the original Mustang in white on those windows and from what I recall were $1000 not installed.

Items still to address.
1. Air bag light on - not even sure what that is about. Thinking I will fix this to sell as it might concern someone. The car has never been wrecked, all body panels have the original VIN - I did buy the replacement engine bay stickers so all look new now.
2. Passenger door can not be unlocked by the key but if locked can be unlocked from inside by puling the interior door handle.
3. Battery has a slow drain, I believe from an aftermarket alarm that was installed but not sure, never had it diagnosed, should have I have spent more for batteries than the fix I am sure.
4. One of the plastic pieces that controls the flow of air out of the vent is broken and needs replaced.
5. I converted the AC about 4 years ago, and currently it is not blowing cold but all the parts are new.

Items I did. All items purchased from LMR except tail lights and rims.
Replaced Rims - they are offset with 255/40/17 on front 275/40/17 on back - they do not rub. Painted brake calipers and rear drum red.
Replaced hood insulator with new one
Replaced spark plug wires, and bought near new distributor cover on ebay.
Replaced 5.0 Engine Plaque with near new plaque from ebay.
There are many more as I truly loved to go out and tinker with this thing, at least when the garage wasn't so hot.

I will include with the sale a copy of my business card, original dealer key chain, letterhead with whatever the new owner would like me to write and sign as long as it is factual. I will gladly explain on that letterhead how it went 7 years to go to the mid 20k range in miles and how a green Assistant Manager turned in paper work for it to be over 100k miles for trade in. An original Mustang dealer brochure, original owners manual in great shape.

So my questions are how much of the above stuff should I fix to sell, what kind of price range do you think this car merits, and how best to market it, I was thinking Ebay or Autotrader. I have about 60 days before it gets pushed out of the garage by my wife...

Thank you for reading all this, but this car is a head turner, with what I would say is a great back story for a 3rd owner. Any input would truly be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

View attachment 3256View attachment 3257View attachment 3258
If you fix the few electrical and minor issues with the car and switch out the euro taillights and reinstall the cheese graters maybe even put the turbine mags back on you could possibly fetch between 15-20 K. Is the interior leather or tartan? (Just my curiosity)

Bruiser013

Very nice! Most collectors love these cars unmolested and are sticklers for originality! It’s getting nearly impossible to find a nice Fox that hasn’t been butchered or beaten on. Yours looks like a beauty and you shouldn’t have a problem selling it!

Cheers

Middleagecrisis

Looks nice from the pictures! The negatives: 1. Lots of little things that although cheap to fix, drive down the price. 2. Paint is 7/10, your words. 3. Please get those trail lights off the car!!!!!! Put the old yellow ones back on if you have too. If the car is a 5 spd. and you fixed all the little things (minus repaint), such as inop A/C, Battery drain, Inop door lock, etc. the car should fetch $11-13K, as it sits now, $8-10K. BTW, I have a '93 GT that has the flashing airbag light. I'm on my 4th used airbag module (can't get them new anymore) and still haven't got it to stop flashing. I bought mine last year from the original owner, with 101K, rebuilt AOD, flawless paint/int, 100% stock, except flowmasters. For reference, I paid $8K. People don't have a lot of spare cash laying around for purchase of new toys, so keep that in mind.