• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

MUSTANG HYDRAULIC CLUTCH CONVERSION

broncojunkie

I've considered it and have read mixed opinions. Most people looking into it have had their bouts with broken cables. Is that what you're dealing with? Or maybe a heavy clutch? Both can be fixed using the right parts... witty the cable setup.

Nvsssnake

Stiff cable and had the BBK firewall adjuster , but the firewall mount has now broken thru the firewall, so now i need beef up the firewall.

broncojunkie

The cable can be stiff for a few reasons. A heavy duty clutch kit, of course, will do it. But a few other things as well. If you have an input retainer on your t5 that has an aluminum tube (I believe most or all foxes did), it can wear and the throwout bearing can stick. An all-steel retainer is about $40 and is much better.

An improperly mounted cable or pivot ball stud not shimmed/adjusted correctly can make it stiff, as well. And since you have the firewall adjuster, I presume you have the aftermarket aluminum quadrant. Some quadrants have 2 "hooks" for attaching the cable. So there are a few things you can do to set it up for a lighter pedal.

Nvsssnake

I have own the car for 28 yrs and replaced the cable many times. Replaced the stock self adjuster 10 yrs ago The quadrant has the single hook like the original. Well none of that will matter now, as the firewall screw mount stripped out, so i put in a bigger screw and that hole stripped out, moved it drilled another hole. Something caused it to bind so badly it has pulled the firewall mount thru the firewall. Now i need to find someone to make a plate for the firewall. that's why i was thinking of doing hyd system after getting the firewall patched.