• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Merkur XR6gt

Wordman

Insane
Well, it seems I have been collecting enough parts I thought I should detail my plans and my build.

Last year, I purchased a 1987 LX that had been converted to a 5.0 5-speed. It's a T-Top car with a good body, good paint, and a crap interior.

366039613_709007267935432_7100630983518496717_n.jpg

I have a room full of parts I've been buying, everything from a Cobra IRS to better brakes, etc.

In fact, here is my list of planned modifications...

1. 2011-2017 3.7 V6
  2. Jenvey ITBs
  3. 6-speed
  4. Holley injection system
  5. Global West front lower arms
  6. Bigger brakes
  7. Z32 Nissan 300ZX front seats
  8. DSE subframe connectors
  9. VHX Dash
  10. Custom front fascia W/flip up headlight doors
  11. Excellent sound system
  12. Leather upholstery

The car will be driven, and I mean driven a lot. I'm also thinking of a custom dash, or using the dash from an '85-'88 Thunderbird.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Otherwise, stay tuned to see what all gets thrown at the little car!

Wordman

Insane
Yesterday we picked up a 2005 Mazda RX8. It has a toasted engine, but I want the suspension.

Both the front and rear (IRS) are mounted on fairly low profile subframes, and the width approximates that of the Foxbody Mustang. With a bit of cutting, welding, and other fun stuff, I'm 99% certain I can use them under the Mustang project.

The front is a SLA set up while the IRS is a multi-link type. The same suspension was used under the RX8 and the NC series Miata, and the RX8 weighs around the same as the Foxbody Mustang (in fact, my mustang might weigh less once the all-aluminum V6 is installed).

Should make a Mustang with a good ride that also handles like it's on rails.

Example of the RX8 suspension and subframes.
1693147020647.png

I had originally decided to make it a faux brand I call "Innamoratta" (as though Innamoratta was an 80s tuner company along the lines of Shelby, Saleen, etc.).

But after giving it some thought, and considering the body mods (front and rear bumpers, spoiler, etc.) I plan on making, I've come up with a better idea. It's going to be a phantom Merkur model. The front bumper, headlights, lower spoiler, will all look much more European when I'm done, as will the overall look of the car. I even came up with a model name and designed a logo.

XR6gt.png

I think my brain spends far too much time thinking...

Wordman

Insane
I can't wait to see that all fitted. What a great idea.
Count me in too! Looks like a hell of a build!

Thank you both. Working on the car will be in fits and starts, unfortunately. My mother is slowly dying of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, a horrible disease. My parents live in Florida, while my wife and I live in east Tennessee. Fortunately, my sister and her husband live about an hour from my folks, and goes over to their house nearly every day. But I can't expect her to do this all alone, so every three weeks or so I head down to Florida and stay with my folks for a week or so to give her a break.

Couple that with a propensity for severe tension headache (neck injury) and I don't always have the time I want to devote to it. Still, I promise I will keep this thread updated, no matter how sporadically it might be.

Erkenbrand

Thank you both. Working on the car will be in fits and starts, unfortunately. My mother is slowly dying of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, a horrible disease. My parents live in Florida, while my wife and I live in east Tennessee. Fortunately, my sister and her husband live about an hour from my folks, and goes over to their house nearly every day. But I can't expect her to do this all alone, so every three weeks or so I head down to Florida and stay with my folks for a week or so to give her a break.

Couple that with a propensity for severe tension headache (neck injury) and I don't always have the time I want to devote to it. Still, I promise I will keep this thread updated, no matter how sporadically it might be.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. She's lucky to have your sister near. My grandfather is in his last days, and still lives at home alone since my grandmother passed a few years ago. My brother and his family live about 10 minutes away, so they take care of him. I live 400 miles away, and make it back when I can.

The car will always be there. We're looking forward to your progress, and figuring out the challenges.