• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kenne Bell question

1990 fox

Hi all, I'm interested in putting a Kenne Bell Supercharger on my 1990 LX. Apparently the supercharger mates with the GT40 lower manifold. So my question is; can I install a GT40 lower manifold on my LX 5.0. Are all 5.0s the same (GT vs. LX vs. Cobra, etc.)

broncojunkie

Gt and LX are the same. 93 cobras had gt40 heads, gt40 intake, 24lb injectors, and a different cam (or was it the same cam with 1.7 rockers vs the standard 1.6?). Anyway, you can do it and it's been done. Cool setup and considered "retro" due to cheaper methods and/or "more bang for the buck" methods such as the "On3" turbo kit.

Just keep in mind that once you start approaching the 3-400hp level, you'll be looking at other supporting mods that can get expensive. The stock t5 or aod will not hold, you'll need aftermarket control arms (or box-in the stock arms), subframe connectors, fuel pump, torque box reinforcement kit, and other things. This is all dependent on power level and how you are using the car, of course. Oh... and the stock axles will break under hard launch with enough power. Keep adding power and the aftermarket hardened 28 spline axles will break, so you'll need to go to a 31 spline diff or even 35. It's a slippery slope, so my advice is to figure out where you want to be and do it right the first time! Way more expensive to do it in stages of break/replace lol!

1990 fox

Gt and LX are the same. 93 cobras had gt40 heads, gt40 intake, 24lb injectors, and a different cam (or was it the same cam with 1.7 rockers vs the standard 1.6?). Anyway, you can do it and it's been done. Cool setup and considered "retro" due to cheaper methods and/or "more bang for the buck" methods such as the "On3" turbo kit.

Just keep in mind that once you start approaching the 3-400hp level, you'll be looking at other supporting mods that can get expensive. The stock t5 or aod will not hold, you'll need aftermarket control arms (or box-in the stock arms), subframe connectors, fuel pump, torque box reinforcement kit, and other things. This is all dependent on power level and how you are using the car, of course. Oh... and the stock axles will break under hard launch with enough power. Keep adding power and the aftermarket hardened 28 spline axles will break, so you'll need to go to a 31 spline diff or even 35. It's a slippery slope, so my advice is to figure out where you want to be and do it right the first time! Way more expensive to do it in stages of break/replace lol!
Thx for the excellent reply. It all makes sense. I already have the subframe connectors and a strut tower brace. I think I'll go with a centrifugal (Paxton or Vortech) much easier setup and I don't need to get a GT40 intake. 300 wheel HP would be fine for me.

1990 fox

So I've changed my mind again and I did order a Kenne Bell supercharger. Now I just need to find a GT40 lower intake. Some of the ones I've seen on Ebay talk about non EGR or EGR ?? Doesn't the EGR have to do with just the upper ? The Supercharger replaces the upper, thx.

broncojunkie

So I've changed my mind again and I did order a Kenne Bell supercharger. Now I just need to find a GT40 lower intake. Some of the ones I've seen on Ebay talk about non EGR or EGR ?? Doesn't the EGR have to do with just the upper ? The Supercharger replaces the upper, thx.
Man, it's been a while since I dealt with efi stuff! The lower is easy to tell if it's egr or non. There will be a smaller round port in the middle, right on top... between the larger intake ports. You can't miss it. If memory serves me correctly, here's the deal. If you need egr, get an egr lower. If you change your mind, you can always cap it off easily and never know it was there. If you want to research it, start searching "gt40 explorer intake swap" and you'll get info about egr vs non. Probably some good pics, too.

1990 fox

Man, it's been a while since I dealt with efi stuff! The lower is easy to tell if it's egr or non. There will be a smaller round port in the middle, right on top... between the larger intake ports. You can't miss it. If memory serves me correctly, here's the deal. If you need egr, get an egr lower. If you change your mind, you can always cap it off easily and never know it was there. If you want to research it, start searching "gt40 explorer intake swap" and you'll get info about egr vs non. Probably some good pics, too.
Ok sounds good thx