• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Just baught a foxbody

Yifrah

What type of engines can I put in a 1983 foxbody I’m new to cars and don’t know a ton about them and I did a job and instead of getting paid I asked if I can have the foxbody he was selling instead I know own the car and want to do some mods to it but I have no clue what I can do with the car

broncojunkie

Welcome to the forum!

The fox platform is very accommodating. You can do just about anything with it. Easiest is a ford Windsor motor....302 or 351 windsor. You can build either into a larger-displacement engine for more power. You can be different and go with a 351 Cleveland. Probably Ford's best-kept secret from the early 70's! You can also wedge a big ol 460 in it (or a stroked version) which is great for drag racing, but not so much for carving corners. Even the extremely wimpy 2.3 4 cyl engine can be built into a screaming race engine with impressive hp!

You might want to decide on what you want out of it and how much you're willing to spend. Keep in mind you'll need to upgrade the drivetrain and chassis as well, if you want even decent power.