• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How to fix faded paint

Justin1993

I just bought a 1993 Fox Body with some faded paint, and I’m not sure where to start. Should I buff and wax it? Or get a new paint job?

Attachments

• A562F5BE-B133-4916-BEEC-29437D1384FB.jpeg
    A562F5BE-B133-4916-BEEC-29437D1384FB.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 11

broncojunkie

Red paint is bad about oxidizing. You can probably bring the shine back to that one with a lot of work, but you'll have to stay on top of it. In the long run, you'd probably be better off with a good base/clear respray. The 2k clears have come a long way and will provide good uv protection. I think it's worth trying to save the original paint, though...even if it's just to give you another 2 or 3 yrs.

There are several ways to accomplish this, but buffing with polishing compounds and finishing with wax is the basic process. There are several good videos on YouTube.

Also, I got your pm but having trouble replying for some reason.

broncojunkie

I guess I'm also having problems with the general forum replies. For instance, I didn't add the extra spacing in the last reply lol! For some reason, it's keeps adding more spacing until the page freezes.

Justin1993

I guess I'm also having problems with the general forum replies. For instance, I didn't add the extra spacing in the last reply lol! For some reason, it's keeps adding more spacing until the page freezes.
Yeah I’ve had a few issues trying to send messages as well. Thank you for the advice, I think I’m going to try and save the original paint for a few years until I can afford a paint job I’ll be happy with.