• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help! 1984 Mustang Shifter stuck in park!

SS_Bliss

Okay, So everything was completely fine one minute and then the next now i can't shift my car out of park? I'm positive it's not a broken cable because it would still allow me to move the lever just wouldn't shift the trans. Is there a Electronic Shift Lock or Shift Relay somewhere Or possibly a Fuse i don't know about? Or could it be something else? Please help! Also car is an 84' V6 3 speed if that helps.

Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Should be a c4 transmission (technically a c5 I believe, but for all practical purposes, a c4). I honestly don't know much about the auto transmissions but you may want to research "c4 parking pawl problems". That might steer you in the right direction.

broncojunkie

A quick search and it looks like there's a spring that keeps the pawl disengaged. That spring can break and cause your issue. Just an idea.