• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Head choices

89lx5.0

Ok so I'm starting to look for a new set of heads cause I thought I had 351 heads on my 5.0 bit after taking them off to do head gaskets I've found that they are e6 heads. Now I do have a set of e7 heads laying around but I'd need to clean them and do valve job and bigger springs since I have a e303 cam in the car. So I'm wanting to know if the e6 heads are worth keeping or if the e7 heads are worth doing instead of going and taking off a stock set of gt40 heads off an explorer. Thanks

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so I'm starting to look for a new set of heads cause I thought I had 351 heads on my 5.0 bit after taking them off to do head gaskets I've found that they are e6 heads. Now I do have a set of e7 heads laying around but I'd need to clean them and do valve job and bigger springs since I have a e303 cam in the car. So I'm wanting to know if the e6 heads are worth keeping or if the e7 heads are worth doing instead of going and taking off a stock set of gt40 heads off an explorer. Thanks
The heads are the heart of an engine in my opinion and I would recommend going for a nice set.. Something off the shelf Like AFR 185 or 165, the Holley system max are a good choice too..

Last edited:

Blown347

Staff member
E6s are junk. Given the choice I'd go with the e7s but since they need a valve job then I'd say put that cash towards a set of gt40s. You'll be much happier with them. Obviously they won't be anything like a good set of aluminum heads but still a major step up from the e7s. They can be had for pretty cheap too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89lx5.0

That's my thoughts too I just have to deal with the e6s for now idiot know why somebody would downgrade heads

Blown347

Staff member
Yea that makes no sense. Btw you can select your post after you posted and edit it for typos :)

broncojunkie

I have some gt40p heads I planned on using on my 88. After some major research, I'm up in the air about whether or not I should buy aluminum aftermarket heads. Sure, they will produce way more power, but I'm not building a race car. But if I do decide to go aftermarket, the gt40p's will go on my 92 F150. Either way, the e7's won't do much for you.

broncojunkie

I believe gt40's will need new springs, as well. I would find a good set, upgrade the springs and throw them on there, if you're hell bent on upgrading heads. I wouldn't invest money in e7's when gt40's can be found cheap. That's my train of thought here, anyway. I just know that the e7's are very restrictive.

89lx5.0

Yea definitely Gona have to get springs for my e cam cause I've heard those stock springs won't hold to the stock ho cam

Blown347

Staff member
And take it from me, if you try to be cheap, and use the stock gt40 springs, you WILL get valve float lol. I tried to cheap out and the car would pull to about 3000 rpm and just lay over. I have a pressure tester for valve springs, stockers were anywhere from 70-85 psi. The above kit, 120 as advertised :)

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
well u can run the GT-40 3 bar springs if you are not runing anything bigger then a E-303 cam from what i have read when using GT-40 3 bars. when you run i believe its like mid-97 and up GT-40P heads from a explorer or mountainer the springs wont even hold up to a stock 5.0 cam there way to week and need to be swapped out to run a decent cam. heres some info from 5.0info if it helps out http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/gt40-gt40p.html

Blown347

Staff member
well u can run the GT-40 3 bar springs if you are not runing anything bigger then a E-303 cam from what i have read when using GT-40 3 bars. when you run i believe its like mid-97 and up GT-40P heads from a explorer or mountainer the springs wont even hold up to a stock 5.0 cam there way to week and need to be swapped out to run a decent cam. heres some info from 5.0info if it helps out http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/gt40-gt40p.html
I have 3 bar gt40s. I guess some people get away with it but they wouldn't even take the stock cam in my LX

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
i guess its hit and miss...but its always better to swap springs since there fairly cheap to get