• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hatch won't open

stillerfaninfl

Key will turn in the lock. You can feel the tumbler or whatever trying to catch, but lock will not release. My hatch is locked shut. Any suggestions? Pop a lock? A body shop?

broncojunkie

I hear people say their fox doesn't have a trunk release button. My buddy's coupe didn't have one. I don't think I've owned a fox without it.

When was the last time you had it open? You might try some wd40 through both the keyhole and crawl inside and spray some into the latch area. I've seen them freeze up before.

stillerfaninfl

I hear people say their fox doesn't have a trunk release button. My buddy's coupe didn't have one. I don't think I've owned a fox without it.

When was the last time you had it open? You might try some wd40 through both the keyhole and crawl inside and spray some into the latch area. I've seen them freeze up before.

broncojunkie

I have 5 hatchbacks right now and I'm pretty sure they all have the release button. (I actually can't recall if my 82 capri has it.) I've owned a couple coupes in the last few yrs. Both 86 models and both had the button. I used to think it was standard on all models, but I'm recently finding out it's not.

I think there also may be a small access panel under the lock area on the hatch itself, just below the lock. There were several different latch/striker assemblies through the years, so yours might not have it. I also can't recall if it's accessible with the hatch closed.

stillerfaninfl

I have 5 hatchbacks right now and I'm pretty sure they all have the release button. (I actually can't recall if my 82 capri has it.) I've owned a couple coupes in the last few yrs. Both 86 models and both had the button. I used to think it was standard on all models, but I'm recently finding out it's not.

I think there also may be a small access panel under the lock area on the hatch itself, just below the lock. There were several different latch/striker assemblies through the years, so yours might not have it. I also can't recall if it's accessible with the hatch closed.
I'll look for the access panel tomorrow once its light outside. Thanks!