• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Go Straight

Diablofox

Hey everyone. What are some things i should do to suspension to help with going straight. I have drag radials already. Car is a 347 stroker with a vortech on about 6 pounds.

broncojunkie

You can get a panhard bar or (much cheaper) an inflatable air bag for the passenger side coil spring.

You will also want to address torque box reinforcement when launching these cars, if you haven't already. Stiff aftermarket control arms can destroy them. Upper control arms need some movement. Either use stock uppers that allow for some flex or reinforce upper torque boxes and use aftermarket upper control arms. Spherical bushings (axle end of your uppers) allow for some movement if your uca's are stiff.

Diablofox

Ok cool thanks ill look into Those things. So dont get stiff control arms? Also address the torque box with addition of aftermarket controls arms that arent stiff?

broncojunkie

Ok cool thanks ill look into Those things. So dont get stiff control arms? Also address the torque box with addition of aftermarket controls arms that arent stiff?
I've done a lot of reading on it and there are different ways to approach it, depending on power level and how you're using the car.

For most of us, I would suggest upper and lower torque box reinforcements for all v8 cars. Stiff lower control arms are also a necessity, to help eliminate wheel hop. The upper control arms will want to bind, if stiff upper control are used. This will put stress on the upper torque boxes. The factory rubber bushings (the ones in the top of the axle housing) will offer some flex, as will using the factory uppers. If you have upper torque box reinforcements, you're probably ok with using aftermarket uca's. Again, it depends on power level and how much you're willing to do with the upper torque boxes. You can't really have too much reinforcement... it just costs more for the really heavy duty stuff. So for most of us with moderate power increase and a little track time, the basic reinforcement kit (preferably welded) and aftermarket upper and lower control arms with stock rubber or billet spherical upper housing bushings will do fine. If you make big power (500+), start looking into the torque box reinforcements that have bracing that ties directly into the frame.
Hope this helps.

broncojunkie

Here is the kit that I have on my pace car. It's a 331 stroker probably a little over 300hp. I didn't weld them, but I probably will go back and do it here soon.

This is the kit I'm putting in another fox, with a 408w stroker making 500ish hp. Note the tubing that transfers energy directly to the frame, instead of being absorbed by the upper torque boxes.

The next step, I believe, would be a torque arm setup. I'm not up to speed on that yet, but I believe it eliminates the upper control arms altogether.

Spherical axle bushings:

There are other options but these are probably the most common upgrades.