• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Flywheel balance differences

Wayne86

Hey guys it's been awhile since last post.
I have a question about the flywheel for the 5.0.
I bought a McLeod flywheel with a 28 oz balance.
I've read several forums about what balance I need for my engine but I'm wondering about the 90s explorer engine.
Is the balance the same?
I've read that later 5.0 has a 50 oz balance.
Any info??

broncojunkie

The 302 went from 28 to 50oz balance in 1981, I believe. All 302's after that are 50oz. If the engine has been rebuilt and the crank replaced, it could be 28oz. That is typically done with a performance rebuild, not a stock rebuild/remanufacture. For instance, I have a rebuilt 302 with a stroker kit. It's now a 331ci with 28oz. I'm not really sure why some of the performance rebuild kits use the 28oz setup. It could be for a few different reasons. Less weight offset might be better for higher rpm. There's also the issue of parts interchange between the 302 and 351w. All 351w's are 28oz.

Wayne86

Ok thanks.
I feel like a dummy.
Just checked my flywheel and it is a 50oz
So I should be good and I've got a king cobra stage 2 clutch kit.

broncojunkie

Should make you a nice setup. I have the king cobra clutch in my pace car and it's good. No slipping or chatter. Holding up great.