• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

F.Y.I on cat back exhaust from Flowmaster...

John2002

I don't know if anyone has had this problem with their system but I finnally fixed mine. It has been on for about 2 years now and it seems because of the design of the muffle on to the tail pipe sections I never could get a secure seal with that 1 1/4 inch single piece band clamp. It seems to not have enough bite on the collar coming from the muffler exhaust outlet to seal onto the tail pipes inlets. I bought another set of band clamps thinking I strecthed out the ones that came with the kit ( Flowmaster American Thunder cat back ) Well I spent about 30 minutes on my back with a single hack saw blade and cut two 1 inch slices back from the egde of the exhaust outlet collar towards the muffler so the clamp could squeeze the collar down to the tail pipe inlets. I did one at the top and one at the bottom of both exhaust outlet collars. If anyone is planning on buying a cat back system with those one piece band clamps and installing it in the near future then cut those 1 inch long slots about a 1/4 inch wide before you get started on the install.

Good luck...

Last edited:

John2002

Guess what, I just watchd an episode of Gearhead Garage on Velocity with the two old guys from Two Guys Garage ( Sam and Dave) and they were installing a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust on a Silverado...and yes it was there... Flowmaster added a slot about a half inch wide on the side of the collar of the exhaust outlets to help secure the collar around the tail pipe. And they say tv turns the mind into musch!!!!