• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Explorer Intake Manifold Install

Blown347

Staff member
So i'm finally going to get around to installing the explorer manifold on the 91 LX. I just wanted to see if any of you have done the swap before, because there are a couple things that have to be tweaked and I wanted to double check before I tore it apart.

First, theres the ACT sensor that I either have to tap the lower manifold to install or relocate it to the intake pipe (leaning towards the pipe since its easier and less risky)

Then I keep reading different things about the egr. anyone know the proper way to do this? Some people say to plug the hole on the back of the intake and delete it. Others say to hook it up the same as stock. I don't see a problem keeping it as there is zero power gain from deleting it. but is there some other variable I am not seeing??

and last is the vacuum hookup. I know it's a little different, anyone got some insight on all of this??

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
So i'm finally going to get around to installing the explorer manifold on the 91 LX. I just wanted to see if any of you have done the swap before, because there are a couple things that have to be tweaked and I wanted to double check before I tore it apart.

First, theres the ACT sensor that I either have to tap the lower manifold to install or relocate it to the intake pipe (leaning towards the pipe since its easier and less risky)

Then I keep reading different things about the egr. anyone know the proper way to do this? Some people say to plug the hole on the back of the intake and delete it. Others say to hook it up the same as stock. I don't see a problem keeping it as there is zero power gain from deleting it. but is there some other variable I am not seeing??

and last is the vacuum hookup. I know it's a little different, anyone got some insight on all of this??

I did the lower for the ACT, you can see mine.. in the pics..

Act could go either place, as you said intake tube is easier. Just hook up the egr valve/spacer and tb just like stock. You'll have to tap the location in the back of the lower for the coolant line from the back of the egr. Not connecting that line can cause the intake to heat up due to no coolant running through the spacer. I believe there are 5 vacuum lines to connect, egr, fpr, pcv, vac tree and charcoal canister. A few different ways to connect them.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2