• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Embarking on a lot of clean up . . . not really a resto . . . quite

81Notch

I'm about to order the new fuel tank and related parts. I'm getting the 83-97 tank from LMR. The extra capacity will be pretty handy. Anybody have experience with this? I'm guessing it's going to be a bit of a squeeze, but I'm not sure how much massaging it will take to fit where the small tank is now.
I don't have any experience with the gas tank, other than ordering two different ones from Rock Auto and having neither fit (my fault, mostly), so I'll be curious to see how your install goes because that's something I may consider doing as well.

One Owner 1982

I’ve replaced mine twice. Both times I bought from O’Riles auto parts. Got all the gaskets, tank level kit and lines from them. No problems.

Attachments

• IMG_5282.jpeg
    IMG_5282.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 5

broncojunkie

I have a 83-93 tank sitting on a shelf waiting to go in a 79 Cobra. I got it from Rockauto. It is painted grey and looks like a really nice piece. There are a couple minor dents in it, but you won't even see them when it's mounted (and I mean very minor). This is my 2nd time ordering a tank from Rockauto. The first time, a few years back, it came in comically destroyed. I sent it back and it wasn't too bad to deal with, but I ended up buying one at a local parts store.

As for fitment in the earlier cars, it's my understanding that it will fit with very little modification. You can use your factory straps, although they won't fit into the "grooves" stamped in the new tank, where they're supposed to go. This also means the straps will be too short. You can lengthen them near the rear, in the section that turns up and attaches to the bolts/studs (by the rear bumper area) OR you can just get some longer bolts and washers to reach the (now too short) straps.

I plan to use an in-tank electric pump and modified fuel lines to feed a carb. I'll use a return fuel line and simple bypass-style regulator. Or, a slight variation in fuel line setup will eliminate the need for the bypass regulator. I'll just build the "bypass" into the fuel line and then run an offshoot line over to the carb with a regulator there. There's no need for a fancy regulator that costs $3-500. Just refer to the K.I.S.S. method lol!

Erkenbrand

I have a 83-93 tank sitting on a shelf waiting to go in a 79 Cobra. I got it from Rockauto. It is painted grey and looks like a really nice piece. There are a couple minor dents in it, but you won't even see them when it's mounted (and I mean very minor). This is my 2nd time ordering a tank from Rockauto. The first time, a few years back, it came in comically destroyed. I sent it back and it wasn't too bad to deal with, but I ended up buying one at a local parts store.

As for fitment in the earlier cars, it's my understanding that it will fit with very little modification. You can use your factory straps, although they won't fit into the "grooves" stamped in the new tank, where they're supposed to go. This also means the straps will be too short. You can lengthen them near the rear, in the section that turns up and attaches to the bolts/studs (by the rear bumper area) OR you can just get some longer bolts and washers to reach the (now too short) straps.

I plan to use an in-tank electric pump and modified fuel lines to feed a carb. I'll use a return fuel line and simple bypass-style regulator. Or, a slight variation in fuel line setup will eliminate the need for the bypass regulator. I'll just build the "bypass" into the fuel line and then run an offshoot line over to the carb with a regulator there. There's no need for a fancy regulator that costs $3-500. Just refer to the K.I.S.S. method lol!
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably dig out some longer bolts to fit the soon to be too short straps.

I'm running Holley's in tank, returnless style fuel pump. Running just the one feed line made it all a lot easier, and it has its own vent. My only concern is having enough clearance for the fuel filler neck if I mount the Holley pump in the original pump location. I modified the original, smaller tank to run the Holley, and didn't have to worry about clearance all that much.

20230506_163821.jpg

20230506_163826.jpg

broncojunkie

My thought was that running a return line would make it less prone to vapor lock...particularly with ethanol. Also, it seems like dead-heading a pump would be harder on it. Plenty of folks running them with zero issues, though. Then again, they don't have my luck lol!

Erkenbrand

I found the interior HVAC components from an 86. Everything is present except the wiring harness. I think I found at least part of the harness, and it should be here in a couple of days. I also found a guy who cut out the firewall section from a rusted out Foxbody so I can pattern the appropriate holes. At first, I was considering cutting out the firewall section and welding in new, but that's a lot for a car that doesn't need it. I just need to open it up in the appropriate spots.

Although I still have a goal of tackling this before the Power Tour in June, I just don't think I have enough time to get it done. My priority is getting a larger fuel tank to support the miles and sitting in traffic that's part of Power Tour. I also have a 62 Skylark I'm hoping to get replace part of the floor and install new carpet . . . and a 77 Fiat that needs a motor swap (this is the one my wife wants completed). Priorities, priorities. :)

20240210_090407.jpg

20240210_090353.jpg
428051524_942269767473682_61359241625224955_n.jpg
416029874_1809375299509573_2187981538936514457_n.jpg

Erkenbrand

Of course if that is the right section of wiring harness, I still need the rest. Or I at least need to know what each wire does so I could create the rest. I'm assuming something in there is power, then ground, and then signal wire to the AC pump.

Anybody have more of the dash and HVAC harness floating around? :)

One Owner 1982

It looks like the right wire harness. Make sure the fan control plug is not melted on the inside. I had to replace mine because the conductors had no separation due to the plug melting. LMR has a replacement kit

Erkenbrand

For those who are trying to find a solution to not having a cup holder, there is a guy on a FB group who is 3d printing these. He has a couple of designs, and will add the logo of your choice. It works great as a phone holder as well. He even includes a hole beneath the phone so you can slide a charging cable through.

20240313_184901.jpg

20240313_184850.jpg

Erkenbrand

Time to dig back into the Mustang now that it's warm enough to be in the garage. I have a list of things to do, but I started by getting rid of the hood prop rod and replacing it with hydraulics. It gives more room, and looks better.

I've been trying to avoid my next big job which will be dropping the gas tank. I need to adjust the position of the fuel pump and hydramat. With the current setup, whenever I get below a half tank I suffer from fuel starvation when I go around sharp corners. It gets to be really annoying.

20240316_160933.jpg