• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Early 83 quad shocks... or lack there of

83fxbdy

Hey guys I'm new to the threads here, I've had 2 Fox's before this MINT 83 I just picked up. I went looking for the quad shocks and.... there are none... instead it has like some torsion bar setup that his the front of the leaf springs, I guess I didnt realize this was a thing, I thought they were all quad shocks. Any ideas for a solution to get rid of them? I wanna throw some different wheels and tires on this car BUT I want to be able to put the suspension back to factory if I ever felt the want to because this car is 100% unmolested.

broncojunkie

Is it a v8 car? If so, you might consider upgrading to an 8.8 rear end. Your's should be a 7.5, which is fine until you start making a little power. Regardless, you can remove that extra stuff. When I was young, I always thought they looked cool hanging down behind the 82gt. But they're not very useful. They were designed to help eliminate wheel hop, but my understanding is that they didn't work very well. A better solution is to buy a good set of aftermarket lower control arms. Remove the upper control arms and weld a plate to the open side to box them in. You want the uppers to flex a little, which will help save your torque boxes... which are known to tear under stress. Another option, if you decide you need it, is to use aftermarket uppers and lowers, but only after installing torque box reinforcements or "battle boxes". If you're not making a lot of power and don't plan on hard launches, then I would suggest aftermarket lowers and boxed factory uppers. This should eliminate wheel hop, for the most part.

FWIW, the quad shocks barely did a better job than the anti-hop bars, from what I've heard.