• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dye color?

Erkenbrand

As I get my 1980 Mustang back together, I'd like to start breathing life into the interior. Although it's all there, the red has taken some sun beating over the years - especially around the steering wheel / steering column.

I can't figure out what dye has the best match to the red, and would rather not buy several cans to find out. Has anybody here gone down this road before?

In this photo the dash pad is new, so it's just perfect. :)

Thanks!20220708_174549.jpg

broncojunkie

SEM LP-M4072G code D "Medium Red" (low luster) is what I got for my 79. I haven't used it yet but it's supposed to be a correct match for the early cars with red interior. 79 & 80 should be identical.

Erkenbrand

SEM LP-M4072G code D "Medium Red" (low luster) is what I got for my 79. I haven't used it yet but it's supposed to be a correct match for the early cars with red interior. 79 & 80 should be identical.
Do you by any chance have a photo of the can? I've been trying to find it by the number you provided, and not having any luck.

broncojunkie

Found it.

Erkenbrand

Found it.
Thanks! Ordered a couple of cans. And some other stuff since I can never just order one thing. The purpose of a paycheck is the feeding and caring for a Foxbody, right? ;-)

Erkenbrand

This weekend, I was cleaning up the interior for a change of pace, and used that SEM dye on a couple of interior parts to bring them back to life. Here's a photo of the original steering column bottom cover after I gave it 3 coats. The dash pad it's sitting on is brand new. I think the SEM color looks great.

20230422_185357.jpg

broncojunkie

That's great news! I know there's a lot of frustration with the fox crowd trying to match up interior colors. I'm not 100% sure I'm sticking with red on this cobra. I mean, it would make sense and would be original, but pretty much everything inside the car is getting replaced or dyed. If I'm going to change it to black, now would be the time. All the plastics will need painted/dyed. Seats are getting re-covered. New headliner. New dash pad. Door panels, although in great condition, are somewhat faded and will need some fresh color to match everything else.