• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

cruise control problem!

black87

hello. I own an 87 and when I bought the car the cruise control worked but shortly after it quit. I was wondering what the most common fix is and im hoping its not anywhere near the steering wheel! anything to lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

broncojunkie

I know literally nothing about fox cruise control lol but I seem to recall my old f150 stopped working due to a vacuum leak.... which was a common problem. I

Redtwilight

Shinigami
The cruise control vacuum unit is located in the driver side fender near the firewall. You will have to remove the inner fender plastic to access it. It will have a rubber "boot" wrapped around it.
As broncojunkie said check for vacuum leaks in and around the system.

black87

Thank you for the advice. I have fixed the problem though. The Carfax report showed a minor accident on the drivers front corner and I looked into it. It turns out one of the horns was rusty and swelled up. That was causing it to short to ground. I also had to take the horn button apart and reshape things a little bit. Very interesting, and it all works now! It forgot how stupid it sounds though. LOL

broncojunkie

Glad you got it fixed! And are you saying the horn itself sounds stupid? Usually, that means one of the two aren't working.