• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Confused about spark plug gap/timing on 87

Blueknights75

Highly recommend going with Motorcraft TPS! Only place I could still find OEM TPS was Advanced Auto. Tried many brands and could never get it to run right. As soon as I put that Motorcraft TPS on and got the voltage set to .97DC she ran like a dream.

MuricMustang

Sorry not trying to continue on with this but I pulled codes and have

34 o insufficient EGR flow or EVP voltage high sonic or PFE sensor voltage high or out of specifications could also be defective EGR pressure transducer sensor
81 o Air diverter solenoid fault intake air control circuit fault
82 o Air diverter solenoid circuit fall or supercharger bypass circuit fault
95 o fuel pump secondary circuit fault

i’m wondering if that may be why I’m having coldstart issues

code 95 is probably because my car is mass air converted and I doubt they ran the wire to the fuel pump

but the rest seems smog related I’m thinking the EGR is plugged

MuricMustang

Highly recommend going with Motorcraft TPS! Only place I could still find OEM TPS was Advanced Auto. Tried many brands and could never get it to run right. As soon as I put that Motorcraft TPS on and got the voltage set to .97DC she ran like a dream.
Thanks I’m gonna go ahead and get the mark out TPS just to have it

MuricMustang

So not sure if you guys wanted an update or not

I found a vacuum leak underneath the intake manifold next to the vacuum tree vacuum line there is a vacuum line nipple that is supposed to be plugged if you have mass air which I do it was plugged but the plug was tore up and was allowing Air in

I thought I fixed it but no I did the same thing the next day hard starting on cold in gym as soon as it idles for A minute or two it evens out

it is way less pronounced though maybe 50 to 100 RPM this time before it was probably 400 to 500 RPM

I’m wondering if it’s the ECT sensor so maybe I’ll just replace that since it’s only like $20

broncojunkie

I have heard of the ect sensor causing some issues like this.

You also mentioned a couple fault codes for the IAC . Have you checked it? I know they can get dirty and cause issues. They can fail, also.

MuricMustang

I just wanna add to this it was still running rich I noticed on cold start ups

my EGR valve was plugged in to my fuel pressure regulator so the vacuum lines were all messed up which I had never seen before. I attached the diagram mine was ran with the yellow green and blue.

Attachments

• D3D5EE73-838B-4968-A08A-5AAFA753EB33.jpeg
    D3D5EE73-838B-4968-A08A-5AAFA753EB33.jpeg
    521.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 71132418-B394-476C-8798-14E86719A330.jpeg
    71132418-B394-476C-8798-14E86719A330.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1