• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Clutch and flywheel

Wayne86

How many are running a lightweight flywheel and performance clutch.
Opinions on the best one for street application.

broncojunkie

I run a king cobra clutch with a standard flywheel in my 79. The t5 has some basic mods to help keep it together. Engine is a fairly warm 331 stroker with aluminum heads. I figure it's putting a bit over 300hp to the wheels. It's always been my understanding that a lightweight flywheel causes some issues that aren't all that great for street manners, which is why i went with a stock style. I don't personally have experience with it, so others very well may dispute that argument.

As for the performance clutch, it depends on what level you're wanting. I have driven cars with aggressive clutches and while they were somewhat annoying for cruising, my biggest issue in this case is destroying the stock t5. I love t5's but they have their problems. They don't like "shock" from hard launches. To reduce shock, a fairy mild clutch should be used. Also, drag radials or any hard tires that hook during a hard launch can kill them. They tend to do better with bias ply slicks that have flexible sidewalls. A taller/factory gear is another thing that will put stress on them. Swapping to a lower ratio (3.73 or 4.10) will add to their longevity... and give you a noticeably harder launch.

There are a ton of good clutches out there. McCloud is making excellent clutches, but a little spendy. The king cobra (made by valeo) that I'm using is good, but cheaper. I'm on my 2nd one in 2 different cars and no problems yet. Note: there are 2 different versions. Mine is the one rated, iirc, for 600hp. I will say that the clutch doesn't seem very harsh. If i had 600hp, I'd buy a more aggressive clutch and a much better transmission.

That's my $.02 anyway!

Wayne86

I run a king cobra clutch with a standard flywheel in my 79. The t5 has some basic mods to help keep it together. Engine is a fairly warm 331 stroker with aluminum heads. I figure it's putting a bit over 300hp to the wheels. It's always been my understanding that a lightweight flywheel causes some issues that aren't all that great for street manners, which is why i went with a stock style. I don't personally have experience with it, so others very well may dispute that argument.

As for the performance clutch, it depends on what level you're wanting. I have driven cars with aggressive clutches and while they were somewhat annoying for cruising, my biggest issue in this case is destroying the stock t5. I love t5's but they have their problems. They don't like "shock" from hard launches. To reduce shock, a fairy mild clutch should be used. Also, drag radials or any hard tires that hook during a hard launch can kill them. They tend to do better with bias ply slicks that have flexible sidewalls. A taller/factory gear is another thing that will put stress on them. Swapping to a lower ratio (3.73 or 4.10) will add to their longevity... and give you a noticeably harder launch.

There are a ton of good clutches out there. McCloud is making excellent clutches, but a little spendy. The king cobra (made by valeo) that I'm using is good, but cheaper. I'm on my 2nd one in 2 different cars and no problems yet. Note: there are 2 different versions. Mine is the one rated, iirc, for 600hp. I will say that the clutch doesn't seem very harsh. If i had 600hp, I'd buy a more aggressive clutch and a much better transmission.

That's my $.02 anyway!

Wayne86

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
The flywheel I'm looking at is about 18 lbs versus the 25+ stock.
Not a very light one considering some others I looked at that I wouldn't want to use that where much lighter.
I am considering a gear change but I think I'm going with a 3.27.
I drive my car alot and I'm only doing mild ungraded and not building to race just a good cruiser with a pep in it's step.
I'm looking at the exedy stage 1 clutch which comes in the flywheel and clutch kit.
Thanks for info.
Any body else have thoughts about this.. everybodys opinions are helpful

347HO

A long time ago, my setup had a fidanza aluminum flywheel with a Spec II clutch bolted to a stock 302.
It ran, felt, drove great.
IMO, any time you reduce rotational weight... Is a good thing.