• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Car running extremely rich with rough idle 1987 Ford Mustang gt 5.0 five speed.

jacksonmetcalf

I’ve had my car for a few months and I’m just trying to get it running good. I bought it from a guy who had the engine gone through by a shop. It’s got a bunch of new parts on it. It has new heads, new cam, new headers, new intake along with small other things. I just say new because I’m not sure what brand all the new stuff is. It was all on the car when I bought it. I ran a code reader on it and it said that the egr/canister was bad so I got a block off plate because I don’t need to pass an emission test. I’m almost certain that that IAC is good… I’ve tried a few other things but I’m not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks!

347HO

Just from your description if symptoms.. I suggest looking for a vacuum leak.

With engine running, spray carb cleaner around intake, vacuum lines, air intake after the throttle if possible.

If engine changes rpm, you've found a leak.

broncojunkie

Welcome to the group! With that car being an 87 model (and modified), do you know if it has been swapped from speed density to maf? I've seen guys put bigger injectors on them and the speed density doesn't like it. Also, you might check the fuel pressure regulator. It should have a vacuum hose on top. Pull it off and if you see signs of wet gas, it's probably leaking.

broncojunkie

The cam will need to be sd friendly, as well. You can try to check all this stuff but you're probably better off just looking into a maf swap. Or... maybe check the injectors first and then go from there. It kinda depends on what you're wanting out of the car. A maf setup (or a more expensive aftermarket computer with a proper tune) will allow you more options for performance upgrades.

jacksonmetcalf

Hey I am back again lol, I’m trying to identify what injectors are in my car. The engine has been rebuilt so they may be factory and there’s a good chance they are not factory. Is there any way to identify exactly what they are?