• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cam degree gt40 heads

Tbiggy415.0

Hey every body I have a 89 vert 70mm cobra intake ported along with gt40 heads that I ported .I in stalled a anderson n41 cam that I never degreed.but how I came to this was my oil pumped locked up on me so I changed and found pieces of valve spring in bottom of pan (which are anderson valve springs) replaced tha valve spring but now car is running like. Crap.very rough withb not as much power.messed around eith timing and it just got worse so I figured start over degree the cam which you never did and go from there.my question beside the obvious why is it running like this is does any body kno if the anderson cam is ground retarded or advanced and what the hell can I use as a piston stop with gt40 heads iron) thank you for reading

broncojunkie

I can't really help with degreeing the cam. My knowledge ends right before that lol! But i wanted to ask what all you've checked so far?

Have you checked fuel pressure? Cleaned maf? What do the plugs look like? Are they carbon fouled? Do all plus look the same? Does it run like crap all the time, or only after it reaches operating temp?

Tbiggy415.0

I can't really help with degreeing the cam. My knowledge ends right before that lol! But i wanted to ask what all you've checked so far?

Have you checked fuel pressure? Cleaned maf? What do the plugs look like? Are they carbon fouled? Do all plus look the same? Does it run like crap all the time, or only after it reaches operating temp?
Hey most of the time the plugs looked golden brown with a whit spot.so check it out the car was running rough but still would do a whole shot but it didnt have the power like it wanted to clear its throat.so the next morning I to to move it and it barely move s do a compression test and driver side was around 215 but cylinder 8 wasn't like 185 cylinder 12and 4 had no compression and 3nhad round 170.i dont kno how this happen it was running fine

broncojunkie

Hmm. You should still have some compression if it was a cylinder/piston/ring issue, most likely. So you could have some valves hanging open for whatever reason. I would suggest pulling valve covers off and turn engine over with a ratchet/breaker bar while watching valve events. Compare valve events between your good cylinders and the bad ones. Maybe you've tried this already.

Next step would be to pull the lower intake and take a close look at your lifters, pushrods, spider, dog bones, etc.

Sounds like you may have some bent or damaged valves and/or pushrods. Any chance you could have floated the valves? I'm presuming since you have Anderson springs, they're verified as being matched to the cam? Did you happen to check piston to valve clearance?

broncojunkie

If you have a scope available, you could check through the plug opening and see if pistons have signs of impact with valves.

Tbiggy415.0

Hmm. You should still have some compression if it was a cylinder/piston/ring issue, most likely. So you could have some valves hanging open for whatever reason. I would suggest pulling valve covers off and turn engine over with a ratchet/breaker bar while watching valve events. Compare valve events between your good cylinders and the bad ones. Maybe you've tried this already.

Next step would be to pull the lower intake and take a close look at your lifters, pushrods, spider, dog bones, etc.

Sounds like you may have some bent or damaged valves and/or pushrods. Any chance you could have floated the valves? I'm presuming since you have Anderson springs, they're verified as being matched to the cam? Did you happen to check piston to valve clearance?

Tbiggy415.0

It was a blown head gasket between cylinder 1 and 2.number ,4looked like some oil was around it .not too sure what that means .what could havw caused this .compression too high? Timing? I'm thinking both mayb

broncojunkie

Glad you found the problem! A blown hg can be caused by several things, but most commonly overheating. High compression or boost can lift the head if your head bolts aren't up to task or not properly torqued. You'll also want to double check the mating surfaces. As for oil around #4, I'm at a loss on that one. I mean, i can think of a few ways oil can get in there but none that would (likely) explain your loss of compression. Again, double check mating surfaces including the head for warping.

Did you re-use oem head bolts or are you using aftermarket bolts like ARP? And do you recall what you torqued them to? Did you use proper sequence as well?