• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Best bang for my buck!

Stangboi89

Im looking for help on what the best but cheapest way to build up my engine. I'm not looking for it to be a race car but just fast and fun and loud! Any ideas??

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
For the engine it would be Heads, Cam and Intake, the choice is your.
Rear gears and subframe connectors is something you might want to think about also.

Loud exhaust.. SLP Loudmouth or 40 series Flowmasters

Stangboi89

I already have the sub frame connectors and a 3:55 gears. I want to get the flomaster 44. Any good? Which type of intake, cam and heads is the best for the least?

Blown347

Staff member
My street car has gt40 heads, e303 cam and an edelbrock performer intake. I've got maybe $400 in all of it.

That being said, I wouldn't look for the cheapest components to throw it together, when there are smoking deals on good used stuff out there. You can routinely find a good pair of aluminum heads (trick flow, afr, edelbrock, etc) for 6-700 bucks. A brand new custom grind cam from FTI is less then 300. And a good used name brand intake manifold can be had for $200. So for about a grand you could have quite the little street beast.

broncojunkie

I wish I could find a good used intake manifold for $200, but people seem to be charging $4-500 for them. Less for a used Explorer intake, of course. I have seen name-brand used heads for $800-1,000...usually on the higher end, but I don't believe I would take a chance spending that much on a used set that might not even be good. If they need machine work, I'd be in them for more than a new set. So that may be where he stands as well. I've been considering a set of pro-comp heads and one of those Edelbrock knock-off intakes from LMR. With a new cam, I'd still be in everything for around $1,500 (more, when you consider all the odds and ends you didn't think about before you started tearing everything apart.) Of course, I've heard some bad things about those heads. One thing's for sure, though. I know for a fact that you're always better off saving and doing it right the first time. Especially if you value your time.

Stangboi89

Does anyone know of a place to get a good reconditioned block or a new one for a good price. I don't want to put alot of money in to my top end of the engine when the lower end has 200,000 miles on it.

Blown347

Staff member
Does anyone know of a place to get a good reconditioned block or a new one for a good price. I don't want to put alot of money in to my top end of the engine when the lower end has 200,000 miles on it.
Latemodelresto sells an economy short block for like $1000. A friend of mine has one and it seems to work well. But a short block is going to depend on what you plan to do with it. You don't want to cheap out if later on you want to add more. A pretty stout 306 can be had for about $1500

Blown347

Staff member
Something else to consider with a short block, if it ever has a problem you want to have access to who built it. A mail order block makes that not really possible. I'd look into a local engine builder, unless you order from a well known builder like coast high performance, ford strokers, ford racing etc etc

Stangboi89

Thank you. I've seen the ones on late model restore and American muscle. But wasn't sure if they were good or worth it.. I even quoted like $4000 to have a brand new Jasper one installed and everything?? Good price or shop around more?

Blown347

Staff member
Thank you. I've seen the ones on late model restore and American muscle. But wasn't sure if they were good or worth it.. I even quoted like $4000 to have a brand new Jasper one installed and everything?? Good price or shop around more?
That's pretty good with an install. Quite a few labor hours to replace it.

Stangboi89

Yeah that's if I don't need a new block though. I don't want to spend a lot of money on my top end if it's just gonna blow the bottom end up

Blown347

Staff member
Yeah that's if I don't need a new block though. I don't want to spend a lot of money on my top end if it's just gonna blow the bottom end up
Something else to consider, you might look into how much it would be to freshen the bottom end (hone, re ring, turn the crank, new bearings etc.) it sounds to me like it runs fine, but may be tired.

broncojunkie

Almost Stock mentioned gt40 heads, intake, and cam...but you might not want to do all that work, just to blow the rotating assembly to bits. But what about replacing the motor with a good used gt40 motor? Should be able to find a good one for well under a grand. Put a hot cam in it, along with a set of valve springs and it should be good to go.

Colin Young

Had a 93 HO block stroked to 331. Forged piston, cast crank. Put together and got the flex plate and Harmonic balancer for just under $2400. another $600 in a set of GT40P heads... hope to have it in and running this week. :).
Talk to your local engine builder/ machine shop. Find out who does the stock car drivers motors.