• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD woes

Jamie B

Well I have only had my Mustang for a few days and I am having issues with the AOD. It seemed fine on the test drive. On my home from picking up the car, as I got into town the car wasn't shifting unless I ran it kind of hard. If I drove it normal cruising through town speeds it wouldn't upshift, so I limped it home. I started reading the forums about the TV cable, and figured I would start there. The bushing was there but it was in pretty sad shape and broke as soon as I tried to remove the cable. After looking at the cable, it appears that is stretched or was hung up on something. When I pulled on the end of the cable it would not move at all. I went to the local pic a part place and was able to find a cable and a bushing. Got home and installed everything and adjusted it using the bad shoe productions method. Took it for a spin and it seemed to be up shifting like it should. But then I noticed when coming to a stop it wasn't down shifting when it should, so I head back home. I get to an intersection and I coast through a turn, as I come out of the turn and give it gas the car just revs. I pull over and mess with it a bit, made sure the TV cable was still connected, it was. Tried all the gears, reverse worked but in all of the forward gears the car would just barely roll forward. I tried to get a friend to give me a tow, but it was going to be a while before he could get there. As I am waiting, I decided to try the gears again. I put it in drive again and it rolls just a little bit and I got pissed off and gave it a lot of gas and the car feels like it shifts and takes of spinning the tires. So I baby it the rest of the way home and I can tell it isn't down shifting. At one other stop I had to do the same thing before it would take off. Is it possible the tranny is getting stuck in overdrive? Is there any chance this is related to the TV cable not being adjusted correctly? Or do I need to start researching a new transmission? If I need a tranny, it is going to be a long time before it is back on the road. One other thing, could a bad converter cause this issue? A friend mentioned that but I honestly don't know much about transmission. Sorry for the long post, just a little frustrated at the moment.

Thanks,
Jamie

junkyard fox

How does the fluid look? Does it have enough fluid? It could be that the TV cable being worn out allowed the clutches to get trashed because of lack of line pressure. That's what happened to me when my cable went south.

Jamie B

I just finished the swap a few weeks ago and haven't really driven it too much. I did like it the few times I did drive it. The car has some other issues I need to work through before I drive it regularly. I need to overhaul the suspension and brakes. I have most of the parts and I am hoping to get to it soon. If you do the T5 swap, the pedal assembly is a real pain. The actually removal of the AOD and install of the T5 isn't too bad, assuming everything comes apart. I ran into a lot of stripped and broken bolts. That slowed the job down significantly.

Jamie

Jamie B

I had to enlarge the hole for the shifter a little bit. Not much, just used some tin snips. The only other thing I modified was the wiring harness for the reverse lights. I will point out that I used a T5 and bell housing out of a 1994 Mustang. The 94 T5 has an input input shaft that is 5/8" longer. The bell housing is deeper to compensate for the longer input shaft. This moves the shifter back 5/8" in the car. Had I used a T5 out of a 87-93 Mustang, I might have had to enlarger the shifter hole more.