• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any sunroof experts? My glass trim is rusted through...

Shoe

I pulled the sunroof off yesterday and the steel trim piece is completely destroyed. After an exhaustive search I can’t seem to find a replacement so what would I attach new weatherstripping to? I found sellers of the glass but didn’t see the trim on them.

Have you checked with the usual? CJ Pony Parts or LMR? It may be a difficult search. I know of a couple of Mustang only junkyards and
have found a few things that I needed there. May end up having to find someone to make it?

Shoe

I tried many places over a 3 week period with no success. My friend with Ford tried as well and actually found an original in good shape a few hours away. I called them immediately and they said they had in their yard. After a couple hours and a confirmation call before driving the guy said he looked everywhere but couldn’t find it. I ended up stripping all the metal off the glass, and after a razor blade and acetone cleaning I just glued the new strip directly to the glass. It worked.

I tried many places over a 3 week period with no success. My friend with Ford tried as well and actually found an original in good shape a few hours away. I called them immediately and they said they had in their yard. After a couple hours and a confirmation call before driving the guy said he looked everywhere but couldn’t find it. I ended up stripping all the metal off the glass, and after a razor blade and acetone cleaning I just glued the new strip directly to the glass. It worked.
We always find a way, lol. I bought an underhood insulator recently for a GREAT price. Mine is getting ratty. They don't make the OEM's anymore and the aftermarket ones look so cheap. Hopefully, I will have it in a couple of weeks. Almost thought about selling it as there is one on eBay that sold for $1000, insane that someone would pay that. I am in search of a handle for my sunroof. The little metal prong broke, but as long as I don't open and close it, it stays in place. I don't drive it in the rain and it's kept in a garage. Mine is an 89, love this car so much! Been doing a lot of needed things or things I have been putting off. Mostly all original too. Don't know if you saw my post on BF Goodrich Radial T/A's but don't buy them, they are not the same anymore. Just put Cooper Cobra Radial GT's on, they are awesome!

Shoe

I found a used set of Firestone with low miles for $160 installed. Over the last few months I replaced the fuel tank and pump, cleaned out the fuel lines, new aluminum radiator and thermostat, new headers and plug wires, sanded and painted the hood, rear spoiler, side mirrors and polished out what’s left of the paint lol. She runs great now and brakes smooth after turning the front rotors. I put it up on my lift and painted most of the underside as well as replaced all the front lights. All total with the purchase price I have about $3000 in her and only 9700 original miles now. She passed smog, goes 60-110 quick and everything works! I have an airbag error and haven’t been able to figure it out yet, but not critical. last month I saw a couple of sunroof hardware sets on eBay. You might be able to pick one up cheap.

I lost track of my spending. Luckily my late husband and current husband are mechanics or were at one time.
I have had this beauty for over 20 years. The odometer is around 225, 000! Still running strong.
Been "totaled" twice by idiot drivers but was fixable. Just did the water pump, thermostat,
harmonic balancer, tie rod end. Still have the wires, plugs, cap & rotor sitting on the bench. I need an oil pan gasket but
it's a big job so I will be waiting a while for that. Hubby is supposed to do the wires and such and rear differential gasket when
it cools down. Too hot in the desert for him to be under a car, he's very WARM BLOODED, like my car. She hates the hot weather.
Even with a new water pump and thermostat and not a real old radiator it always gets what I call "hot". Running at 1/4th the way on
the temp gauge is her sweet spot, lol. Anything over 1/2 and she doesn't like it. I don't know, maybe I need a new radiator. I had a handful of Mustangs in my time, they all seemed to run hot. Hubby said it is not hot, but I know my car and she just doesn't like it, period!