• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Alternator bracket with front exits and electric water pump??

JakeMeek

I used to run a passenger side low mount alternator bracket when i was running the headers out the back but i just put front exits on for easier maintenance (and they sound badass) and that bracket no longer works because the alternator runs into the headers. the headers dont sit very low and exit right out the fender in front of the front tires. A higher mounting bracket would fix this but then the belt would rub on my electric water pump. kindve out of ideas , just figured id take a shot at this and see if anyone is running a similar setup or had this problem. if this gets any attention ill go out and get some pictures of the setup.

Blueknights75

From one new member to another welcome from NC! It seems that @broncojunkie is the guru here and also a great guy…I am sure he or someone with the answer to your dilemma will chime in soon…

broncojunkie

Definitely haven't reached guru status...i just have a lot of fox junk lying around lol! Please do post some pics. We'd like to see this beast PLUS, we might be able to come up with some ideas. Another member 347HO is good with fabrication. I'm betting he'll have a thought or two.

Welcome to the group!

JakeMeek

B88555CE-A5B1-47BC-AE4D-AB3E480B7237.jpegHere’s what I’m working with. The exit pipe(passenger side where alternator mounts) and my current mount aren’t on atm but I’m sure you can understand what I’m saying.

broncojunkie

I see your dilemma. Although I'm not running an electric water pump, here's my setup. It looks like it could possibly clear your header.

Screenshot_20210909-203653_Samsung Internet.jpg

What I'm not sure about is whether or not the alternator bracket will fit with your water pump. Fortunately, this bracket is very simple and I don't think it would be too hard at all to make one out of aluminum plate. You can actually mount the alternator with no plate, but the main bolt that goes through the bottom of the alternator will flex and bend when you rev it. The bracket literally just provides a little extra support so that doesn't happen.

If i was fabbing one of these brackets, i would just mount the alternator and then make a cardboard template. Trace that onto a piece of, say, 1/8" aluminum or a little thicker if possible. You could even use aluminum brazing rod to attach some small strips of aluminum to the back side at a 90 degree angle.. sort of a gusset, so to speak. You could also double up on the aluminum to make it thicker, if needed. Steel is another option. Paint it with engine paint or whatever so it doesn't rust.

Thoughts?

347HO

With no power steering or a/c, this looks pretty straight forward.
As bronco mentioned, any slotted swingarm mounted to an aluminum mount base, and a double adjuster rod, you'd be good to go.
Worse case, you may need an idler pulley to pull the belt away from the water pump motor housing.

JakeMeek

View attachment 3442Here’s what I’m working with. The exit pipe(passenger side where alternator mounts) and my current mount aren’t on atm but I’m sure you can understand what I’m saying.
View attachment 3442Here’s what I’m working with. The exit pipe(passenger side where alternator mounts) and my current mount aren’t on atm but I’m sure you can understand what I’m saying.
@broncojunkie
With no power steering or a/c, this looks pretty straight forward.
As bronco mentioned, any slotted swingarm mounted to an aluminum mount base, and a double adjuster rod, you'd be good to go.
Worse case, you may need an idler pulley to pull the belt away from the water pump motor housing.
idler pulley and a higher mount is actually a great idea. Never thought about that.
Question, (sorry if this makes me sound like I don’t know what I’m talking about, my 351w has only ever had a crank and alternator lol) but where does the idler pulley mount on a Windsor do you know? Could probably google it but it’s nice to have an answer directed to me

JakeMeek

I see your dilemma. Although I'm not running an electric water pump, here's my setup. It looks like it could possibly clear your header.

View attachment 3443

What I'm not sure about is whether or not the alternator bracket will fit with your water pump. Fortunately, this bracket is very simple and I don't think it would be too hard at all to make one out of aluminum plate. You can actually mount the alternator with no plate, but the main bolt that goes through the bottom of the alternator will flex and bend when you rev it. The bracket literally just provides a little extra support so that doesn't happen.

If i was fabbing one of these brackets, i would just mount the alternator and then make a cardboard template. Trace that onto a piece of, say, 1/8" aluminum or a little thicker if possible. You could even use aluminum brazing rod to attach some small strips of aluminum to the back side at a 90 degree angle.. sort of a gusset, so to speak. You could also double up on the aluminum to make it thicker, if needed. Steel is another option. Paint it with engine paint or whatever so it doesn't rust.

Thoughts?
Where’d you get this bracket setup ? Looks high enough if I can manage to route the belt through an idler pulley like the other fella mentioned

broncojunkie

Where’d you get this bracket setup ? Looks high enough if I can manage to route the belt through an idler pulley like the other fella mentioned
This one came off ebay I think, but it's basically a copy of the March (brand) alternator kit. They make a power steering bracket, as well.

Screenshot_20210910-130423_eBay.jpg

Edit: Full disclosure here...I haven't used this on a 351w, but I've heard people say it doesn't work. I don't see why it wouldn't. I have had to modify the bolt spacers and use different bolts with these kits, as well. Maybe that's what they were referring to. I've used similar kits on 3, maybe 4 engines and they all required some ingenuity to fit properly.

Last edited: