• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

95-95 Mustang GT engine question

Hi,

I need some advice.

I have a 302 EFI longblock out of a 95-95 GT, can it be used in a 88 Mustang? I know the intake and throttle body setup is different. I don't plan to used them, is there anything else I should to be aware of?

Blown347

Staff member
The stock valve springs are right on the edge for an e303. They are technically good enough but depending on mileage the seat pressure goes away and you might get valve float, so I'd recommend a new set of springs.

One other bit, you obviously need to use your fox accessory drive setup, the sn95 stuff won't fit right.

Good to know. I will get the springs upgraded. Are there any limitations to the pistons?

I think I will upgrade my alternator while I am at it.

Blown347

Staff member
93-95 5.0s had hypereutetic pistons vice the forged pistons from years prior. They're not as strong but they do handle heat better and are definitely not the limiting factor in the rotating assembly. It's not something to worry about unless you start pushing power levels with forced induction or too much nitrous, in which case the stock connecting rods would probably be the first thing to fail. In short, pretty much any N/A power you add to it, heads, cam, intake etc etc wont hurt them.

The only side note I'd include is if you go too much bigger then the e303 cam you should pull the heads and check piston to valve clearance. An f303 works fine too but it right at the clearance limit.

That's another issue that I have to deal with. I have a used set of twisted wedge heads I am planning to use.

Since the pistons will need valve reliefs cut into them perhaps change the pistons for forged set.

Last edited:

Blown347

Staff member
That's another issue that I have to deal with. I have a used set of twisted wedge heads I am planning to use.

Since the pistons will need valve reliefs cut into them perhaps change the pistons for forged set.
Stock pistons work with twisted wedges. A lot of aftermarkets don't because of the single valve reliefs. Stockers have the bigger double reliefs. My dad ran a 302 w/ twisted wedges and an f cam in a drag car for 15 years, never had an ounce of problems