• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

92 LX Build

stevedjarrell

I started my build, 1992 Jewel green LX Hatchback,. I purchased it from a builder that was starting on it for himself. I think he started wit the thought of Drag, then autocross then as a daily. Currently, the interior is gutted. Things I know the only thing original in the rear end is the housing. 3.55 gears with Moser Axles. Aerospace components brakes in the rear. Dual exhaust running through hollow mufflers. The underside of the caw was painted, chassis stiffeners were added, new fuel tank and 340Lpm aerospace components fuel pump. Fuel hardlines run forward through the chassis stiffeners. I am working on the front suspension now. Went QA1 for pretty much everything. K-Member, motor mounts, A-arms, sway bar, bump steer kit, caster/camber plates, and QA1 Coil overs. I just rebuilt the Rack and Pinon,, cleaned and painted it. SN95 SPindals cleaned and painted, new 5 lug hubs. I have 4 revos rims, dark chrome, rear are 10.5" rims with 285/30R18's. Rear ar 9" rims, I have not picked the tire size for them yet. the engine is on a stand and is the original engine for the car. It had a lumpy Cam, Cast iron heads, and scorpion rockers. I also got an on3 turbo kit with the 67mm turbo as well as a Dakota digital dash new in the box and the MSD 6AL, Coil and rotor cap, and wires NIB. I have some good work ahead of me. Will start posting pics as I move on. I do have a few questions. 5 lug conversions, what is everyone using for an E brake? I do not currently have one. also on the tire sizes can anyone recommend a size for the front tires? I was thinking 265/30/R18.

Erkenbrand

That sounds like one heck of a great start. I installed the Dakota Digital dash in mine. I added the Dakota fan controller for dual fans, and the Dakota GPS speed sensor so I wouldn't have to deal with running a speedo cable and adapter to match the gearing. Soon, I'll add the Dakota cruise control. I really like the modularity of their system.

What transmission are you running? Do you have the interior pieces? While it's stripped I'd recommend getting in there with Dynamat. Probably put some real mufflers on it, too. If you drive any distance you're going to want something controlling the sound. I've lived that life, and putting up with the drone at highway speeds just kills the enjoyment of driving it.

stevedjarrell

Thank you Erkenbrand, I will work on uploading some pictures and I will better proof read my posts as I see a lot of mistakes above. I do have all the of interior minus the rear seat. the car came with three front GT seats and two Corbeau seats still in plastic, probably using those. I was told that running through the turbo it would be quieter and that it needed to breath. I am new to it and understand / can build it but I have no practical experience so thank you for that information on the drone.... I am building it to drive it, not a daily but would like to do summer time trips in it with the wife so I may need to change those out. It is setup with a cutout also so perhaps better mufflers will be in my future.

Transmission is the original T5, was thinking of taking it to a trusted transmission shop to have it looked at. If it is the original it has 196K on it. Can't imagine it is the original, the bell housing is new. also got a new clutch in box as well with the car. I got a lot of new parts with it.

Tried uploading photos but the file size is to big so I will resize and try again. Hoping to have the front suspension back together this weekend.

Erkenbrand

If you're running turbo, I'd highly recommend having the trans looked at. There are some weaknesses in the T5 that can be addressed, and you're not going to want to slam a stock T5 with the boost. Like you said, it might already be done. But it's worth having it checked while it's out. Nothing like sticking a trans in, and then finding out it isn't up to snuff. I went through 4 C6s on a 79 F150 Explorer I built a few years ago. I kept going back to the junk yard and grabbing the next before I finally got over being stubborn and just bought one rebuilt. ;-)

stevedjarrell

Thanks, definitely going to take the transmission in to be looked at. Not sure what is available for bullet proofing the T5, will research it tonight. It is going to be a while for this thing to get done but man am I looking forward to that first drive, should bounce me back to my early 20s pretty quick.