• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

92 Gt fires up for a couple seconds then dies

Blackfly777

My 92 GT fires up then dies randomly. I've already replaced the ignition switch, starter, ignition coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump and cleaned out the tank, TFI and cleaned EGR, throttle body, mass air. Running ethanol free fuel as well. Also cleaned the inertia switch. It's been running fine the last few days then bam, dead again. Also changed the battery cables and checked the grounds. I am stumped, any help would be great

broncojunkie

When you say it fires up then dies, what do you mean exactly? Does it die when you let off the key after starting? Or does it run and drive, but cut out and die randomly as you're driving?

broncojunkie

My 88 did the same thing. Literally everything on the car had been replaced and it still did it. When I bought the car, it was a basket case. Needed a new fuel system and ignition switch to run, but I ended up completely restoring the whole car (I have a build thread on it). I literally just figured out the cause on the same day I gave the car to a buddy. The ignition switch. I found that if I left the slightest bit of forward tension on the key after starting, it would stay running. If I let the key spring back on its own, it would die.

Blackfly777

I've tried that as well and no difference. Even lubed up the pin on the ignition itself when I replaced the ignition switch and just randomly she won't stay running. I'm gonna pull the kick panel and check all the pins on the factory computer

broncojunkie

You might want to check the ecm itself. If you're running the original one, there's a good chance you might have a bad capacitor. It's easy to check once you remove it. Just open it up and find the 3 capacitors. You'll see if they're bad. Both legs should be connected to the board.

broncojunkie

Also, the parts stores should be able to bench test your tfi. The pickup in the distributor is another common problem. It's been several years since I've had to check one, but I believe you can do so with a multimeter (ohms reading).

Blackfly777

You might want to check the ecm itself. If you're running the original one, there's a good chance you might have a bad capacitor. It's easy to check once you remove it. Just open it up and find the 3 capacitors. You'll see if they're bad. Both legs should be connected to the board.
Ok, thank you. I will check that out

Sounds just like my 89 GT 5.0, it has happened a few times. We have replaced the IAC (idle air control) more than once.
Sometimes it's something easy ;) But on the other hand. I had an 88 GT and the sock would suck up on the fuel filter in the tank and I would
be driving and it would just quit. I would have to keep trying, eventually would make it home. It was also intermittent. Once it was changed I never had a problem with it again. Just sucks that you have to drop the tank.