• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5.0 Mustang And Super Fords Fox Issue!

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up this special issue a couple days ago. Its awesome! all of you should buy it. if you have a subscription to MM&FF, you still don't get it so don't miss out!
I want it... Where u get it.. Been looking

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I got it the other day myself. The Smog legal build is pretty good, kind of what I'm going to be doing without the stroker or supercharger.
Hard to believe but just got my copy today. It does have some good articles in it. I agree the smog build was a highlight for me. I'm starting to get a good idea what is needed on my future build to still go fast and keep plates on the Cobra. I hope there's more newer builds of those E type set-ups that will keep showing up in future issues. I did go on Coast Highs site, They say their 347 stroker is C.A.R.B. compliant for 88 up, if car was originally a 5.0. Hmm? I wonder if that means original stock non V/8 cars can't be coverted to V/8s and pass E-test?

I did go on Coast Highs site, They say their 347 stroker is C.A.R.B. compliant for 88 up, if car was originally a 5.0. Hmm? I wonder if that means original stock non V/8 cars can't be coverted to V/8s and pass E-test?

I believe in CA if you do a 4cyl to V8 swap or basically any engine swap that the car will have to pass for the year of the engine, and have all of the smog equipment that originally came on the particular vehicle the engine came from. Plus you have to go through a whole ordeal with the smog officials to even get the new setup approved. I don't know any of this from experience just from what I have read on other forums.

I believe in CA if you do a 4cyl to V8 swap or basically any engine swap that the car will have to pass for the year of the engine, and have all of the smog equipment that originally came on the particular vehicle the engine came from. Plus you have to go through a whole ordeal with the smog officials to even get the new setup approved. I don't know any of this from experience just from what I have read on other forums.
Hmm, Interesting. It looks like it would be easier to find a wrecked complete 89 mass air car for the pollution parts, then have the short block rebuilt and add aftermarket heads. Or if I go ahead with the 347 short block, maybe I could possibly request an 89 block from Coast High. It seems it would be difficult to buy their built 347 short block though and then try to find, and mate up all the smog equipment to it? I just use the 89 year designation for the first year of the mass air application. I was afraid if I go with a newer year that would require more emission control?

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member

There is a guy on modularfoxmustangs.com who got his car smog here in cali with a 4.6L with all smogs stuff..
DSC01871.jpg
DSC01872.jpg

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I checked that out. It doesn't look to be a big deal after all. If that modular can be installed, mine should be relatively easy and run even faster and cleaner than it did stock, once everything from the same year is there working and connected. Appretiate it guys.
I just put a 347 in mine and used all E.O.# parts and all smog equipment, it actually runs better and clearner than my stock 302 which passed smog about a month ago while smoking from the exhaust :)

I just put a 347 in mine and used all E.O.# parts and all smog equipment, it actually runs better and clearner than my stock 302 which passed smog about a month ago while smoking from the exhaust :)
Thats good to know, At first I wasn't sure you could even add stroker blocks to post 80's cars above their original displacements and pass the I.M 240 tailpipe dyno at different RPM ranges. I've known that 347s have been used for many years by many in the Ford/Mustang hobby. I just figured they must have found a way around the E- test with so many in use. I was just a little late in understanding what can and can't be done in the modifications department to pass. With more of these mag articles, better technology and parts with hands on experience from fellow members, it appears no longer impossible to pull off. Thx.

It was a newsstand only issue, but I would think you could get it from them. Even though it is not listed.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2