• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351w swap in a foxbody

neliotapia

I have a complete 351w 5.8 block off a 1996 ford e150.
can I just drop this motor in my 83 foxbody?
my plan is to keep the motor carbureted and use the same set up as my current 5,0 302.
if anyone can give a part list I need to get the swap done that would help thanks everyone.
any information would help.

broncojunkie

I'm doing two 351w swaps now. You'll need 351w swap headers. Presuming you're sticking with carb, you'll need a 351w intake. Might upgrade to a slightly larger carb too. The efi distributor won't work with the earlier ignition setup, but you can score a replacement. I picked mine up at Napa. You need one with a steel oil pump drive gear on it. The iron one won't work with the cam gear and it'll get chewed up and put man glitter all through the engine. You can probably just swap the gear over from the efi distributor, if the parts store doesn't have one with the steel gear. Note: They gave me one with an iron gear on it, labeled as a steel gear. They ordered another one and it was correct. This was for a 302, so they may not even sell the 351w distributor with the steel one.

The e150 oil pan, I believe, will work. If so, the pump and pickup should be fine. If not, you can buy a swap pan kit. Get one that has the dipstick with it.

The 351w is 28 oz balance while the 302 of this era was 50 oz. The e150 will have the correct harmonic balancer, but depending on what transmission you're using, you will probably need to change the flywheel (manual) or flex plate (auto). The fox used a smaller 157 tooth flywheel from, iirc, 85 up. If you're running a manual transmission, just order you a 157 tooth 28 oz flywheel for the appropriate f150. Several different flywheels came in the various f150's over the years in 157 and 164 tooth versions as well as 28 and 50 oz. They're fairly inexpensive on Rockauto and the specs are usually listed in the description.

That's about all i can think of right now. If your 83 has a t5, go ahead and plan on replacing it. The 83 t5 was weaker than the later models. Might want to find a later one (94-98 v6 works with slight modification or the correct bellhousing or an adapter plate to deal with the slightly longer input shaft).

Last edited:

broncojunkie

One more thing. Good find on the 96 351w. It's a roller cam. However, you might not be happy with the stock cam. If you upgrade cams, don't run the stock valve springs. Upgrade them with a set rated for whatever lift the new cam has.