• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1993 LX 5.0........What Bolt On Mods ?

Sheriff01

Got s super nice 93 LX 5.0 that I wouldn‘t mind doing some simple bolt on mods ( Intake, MAF, CAI, 3G Alt). I also wouldn’t mind adding a slightly lower gear such as 3.55 and possible rear disc brakes.

Any guidance or a good thread to follow to see what are solid recommendations to put a little more power out of this car will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
S01

broncojunkie

A 3.55 gear would wake it up. If you don't mind a little worse mpg, go ahead and go with 3.73! The heads and intake are probably the biggest bottlenecks. If you feel froggy, go ahead and slap a set of aftermarket aluminum ones on it. They do "bolt on" lol! You also might consider 1.7 roller rockers to increase valve lift, if you're not wanting to get as deep as an actual cam swap. I believe the cars also came with a baffle inside the air intake housing that you could remove. I don't know that I've ever seen one, as yanking them out was typically the first thing people did. You might take a look and see, just in case.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Gears and exhaust will probably be the improvement for a start.
Is it an automatic or manual? If manual a set of 3.73 gears will really wake it up! Or even 4.10s if you are up for it. If an auto then 3.55s or 3.73s.

If you're not going into the engine in the near future; other things to consider are under drive pullies, electric fan, and a K&N style air filter.

Sheriff01

Thanks for all the replies And advice. I had a 1985 GT back in high school when I turned 16 (1987) so it was slightly simpler to add some power. This 93 I got is super cherry so I don’t want to go to deep in the engine but I’d love to give it a little more umph!!!! I’m not opposed to doing most of the common bolt ons to include intake, exhaust, and gears. I of course still want the car to be safe ( as far as kaboom) and reliable.

With these type mods, who is a good tuner to make everything work well and safe together? Anyone close to North Florida ?

thanks again

broncojunkie

Your car is maf already, so you should be good without a tune, considering the mild mods. You could probably squeeze a few more hp with a tune, but I don't think it would be enough to justify the cost. That money would be better spent on a good set of gt40 heads. Looks-wise, I don't even think you could tell they have been changed (with the exception of a few lines cast into the end of the heads, but you could even grind those off in 5 minutes).

Sheriff01

Your car is maf already, so you should be good without a tune, considering the mild mods. You could probably squeeze a few more hp with a tune, but I don't think it would be enough to justify the cost. That money would be better spent on a good set of gt40 heads. Looks-wise, I don't even think you could tell they have been changed (with the exception of a few lines cast into the end of the heads, but you could even grind those off in 5 minutes).

I actually have access to a set of iron GT40 heads from a friend, sure they’d need to be freshened up. I was considering trying to find a 93 Cobra intake to match up with them as I like the nostalgic look.

would adding these to the other bolt ons move me past the MAF being able to work out the mods ?

sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a plan in place. I got a solid mechanic but trying to avoid a tune/tuner if possible.

broncojunkie

Those would work fine with your stock ecm. My 88gt is maf swapped (originally a speed density car). I have an explorer intake, older 1969 casting heads with larger valves and extensive port work, B303 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, egr delete, and larger throttle body and spacer. I also have 24lb injectors with a matching maf sensor. Running it with the 89-93 stock maf with zero issues. No tune.

Sheriff01

All he had left was a set of GT40Ps that will need some work....wondering if I did decide to do heads If going with an aftermarket set would be better than rebuilding the 40Ps. Maybe a set of Eldelbrock Performers with 1.7 rockers ??

broncojunkie

All he had left was a set of GT40Ps that will need some work....wondering if I did decide to do heads If going with an aftermarket set would be better than rebuilding the 40Ps. Maybe a set of Eldelbrock Performers with 1.7 rockers ??
Absolutely! Just be careful about going down this path. It can start to snowball pretty quickly!

Another head option is a set of c9 or d0 casting heads. In stock form, they would require several hundred dollars worth of work, which makes them not a very good buy when comparing to some entry-level aluminum heads that flow better. But you can still stumble across a set here and there that have already had the work done (hardened exhaust seats, better valves and springs, valve guides replaced where needed, etc). The d0oe-c 351w heads are the best, but I have a set of 302 c9 heads that were basically brought to the same specs. Anyway, you might luck into a nice set,ready to go for $2-400. I paid $150 for a set of d0oe-c heads with all the work done. Even included a set of bushings to run the smaller head bolts on the 302.

The main reason I mention this is because they would look just like stock heads, to everyone but you. Performance wise, aftermarket aluminum heads (even cheap ones) will make more power.

Another option is to contact a local machine shop. The shop I use can order a bare set of cheap import castings and set them up with good parts (done right) for around a grand. Or, a lot of folks have been using the Skip White aluminum heads with success. They're a cheaper head, but apparently assembled in their shop here in the US.

If you make some good power, you will want to start looking at your transmission and axles to make sure they're up to it.

Sheriff01

Well he did have the GT40 heads ( F3ZE- AA) from a 93 Lightning. He just found them. These are basically identical to the 302 heads but just have 1/2 bolt holes vs 7/16 On our 302s... correct? Doesn’t ARP makes a conversion bolts kit to make these fir our 5.0s

any reason to pass on these.....in great shape.

thanks,
Mac

broncojunkie

I replied to this already but I guess it didn't save. They'll work fine. All you need is a set of bushings and use your regular 302 bolt kit.

nick bruscella

I gotta say before you get all twisted with engine upgrades , so do your car a favor and get subframe connectors welded in and some aftermarket upper/ lower rear control arms.This is my daily driver,we have been together since 7/7/7. I've done all the mods myself in my garage.IMG_20200417_165357_hdr.jpg