• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1993 GT Airbag Warning Light

Middleagecrisis

My recently purchased 1993 Mustang GT has an airbag warning light flashing. I've owned a few foxbodies in the past, but never seen this problem before. I did a search earlier and downloaded instructions on how to go into the steering wheel and am now contemplating whether I want to tackle this, or let a shop do the fix. I'm not shy about doing my own repairs, but the airbag area is intimidating! The earlier research I did seems to indicate this is either caused by corrosion, or a bad back-up battery for the airbag. Anybody have any experience with this fault? Thanks in advance

Gz7

Sorry I can’t answer your question, but I have the same problem on my 1990 and interested in a fix for it also.

Cody93

what code are you getting? Is it a 51 or something else (flashes 5 times, then a pause, then one time - then repeats)

Middleagecrisis

Threw the scanner on it and not getting any codes. The Airbag light flashes 4 times, delays, then flashes once, and then repeats the cycle.

Cody93

I will see what I can find out. I know that if it is a 51, then it is the airbag control module - a little blue box under the middle of the dash. I had to replace mine and the flashing went away.

Middleagecrisis

So on a whim, I checked the 15A fuse in the fuse block, and it was missing. It couldn't be that simply to fix the light, could it? Of course not, PO probably pulled it hoping it would kill the airbag light. However, after replacing the fuse I now have 5 steady flashes, with two flashes after the pause. Last weekend I replaced the stereo and could see the blue module back there, but was running short on time and couldn't see how it would come out to check all the electrical connections, How did you get that sucker out of there?

Cody93

Fortunate for me, I had taken out my whole interior to replace the carpets, etc. If you have small hands, you can remove the stereo and squeeze them in there. I find it a little easier to take an extra 10 - 15 minutes to remove the stereo and the center console/stick shift. you will then have plenty of room. I have a video of what I did if you would like to see that. I have not posted it anywhere yet.

Cody93

It should be a 2 digit code. this is from the American Muscle site - The ECU will then send two-digit codes, indicated by light flashes (each digit is separated by a 2-second pause, and each code is separated by a 4-second pause),
Here is a good link from American Muscle that provides a lot of information about FoxBody Mustangs

Middleagecrisis

Well my two digit code is now 52. Hate to think I'll be driving around going forward with an airbag light flashing continuously, but I'm not tearing apart my whole console in the hopes that the airbag module is the culprit.

Cody93

I replaced my airbag control module and it got rid of my 51 code. A few weeks later, I ended up getting a different code. It turned out to be one of the sensors by the radiator. Had a bad wire and when it got wet, the code would flash. was ok on dry days. you don't have to tear apart the console, I have big hands, so it was easier for me since I already had the carpet out.

Middleagecrisis

I always like to provide closure to my threads, so here goes. I had to change my heater core, which as anyone who's ever done this job knows, you have to remove the console and pull the dash back. About as much fun as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! Doing this allowed me to get access to the airbag module. Running a voltage check on the connectors confirmed that the module itself was bad. I went to my local self-service salvage yard and found a couple of air bag modules (92 Crown Vic & 93 Mercury Grand Marquis), bought both for $14. Good thing since one of them was inop with the same failure. The other worked and removed the light. So now the Air Bag light is off and the car back together. Now I can get on with more fun stuff, like modifying the engine for a little more power.

Middleagecrisis

Lasted about 2 days and light is back on, now continuously, ugh! How many folks just live with this problem? Am I expecting too much out of a ~30 year old circuit card?