• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1991 mustang starting problem

Tjones

Hey guys. So I have a question. I’ve tried different things but haven’t had any luck. Whenever I start my mustang it’ll fire right up first shot and then stall. I turn it over a second time and it’ll fire right up and run fine. Anyone have any ideas?
Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

broncojunkie

Tjones,
I can think of several reasons why that might happen. But before you start getting into diagnosing all the usual stuff, check your ignition switch. I had a similar problem and it literally drove me nuts for a few years before I finally figured it out. When the key would spring back, it would cut the engine off. For whatever reason, I tried starting it while keeping a little pressure on my thumb (the key) as I let it spring back. The ignition switch was new. When I bought the car, the switch had already fallen apart, so I didn't notice it when I replaced it.

Tjones

Broncojunkie
I’ve replaced the ignition switch and I’ve also replaced the whole steering column to tilt steering with a the ignition switch that was in the steering column. None of it worked though. It’s only started doing this the last 2 years and like you said it drive me nuts to.

broncojunkie

After you've driven it and you try to restart, does it do ok? Is it only a problem after sitting for a while?

Tjones

It’s only when it’s sitting for a while. I can drive it and park. If it’s more then 2 hours then yes it will do it but if it’s only like 30 minutes it’s fine. I also thought maybe my fuel pump is getting weak or it’s not holding the fuel in the line

Tjones

Oil smells like oil. Checked that to. I tried it again just today. I fired her up and I noticed that the gas cap possibly isn’t vaping the fumes. Now I’ve replaced the charcoal canister. And I’ve checked the line all the way to the gas tank and it’s not clogged but I’m not sure about where the line goes into the gas tank. Is it supposed to be open as-well cause I can’t push air through it. And I noticed it builds up so much pressure in the tank that when I turn the cap it hisses for about 10 seconds very loudly and smells really bad of gas so I’m guessing it’s not exhausting the gas fumes properly.

broncojunkie

Sounds like you're onto something. It's been a while since I messed with the efi fuel setup, but it should definitely be venting. There may be a fuel/evap diagram floating around online somewhere.

Tjones

I have a lot of troubles finding that stuff. Lol. Sometimes the internet makes stuff very confusing and misleading you have any sites you recommend? I have the old school Haynes manual I got like 20 years ago and forgot to return it to the library but it’s very complicated to read. Lol