• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1990 gt lowered 1.5"

d90gt

any body recommend rear tire size for this? on it now are 265-50-15 and they do rub with 2 in the car

d90gt

weld racing not sure on offset, they seem to be inline with the fronts, had my choice I would not lower but I bought it that way

broncojunkie

Any pics of the car you could post? It sure sounds like they should fit as-is. I'm curious to see how the car is sitting. Also, I take it they only rub when going over bumps and stuff?

d90gt

yes bumps, corners, thinking about removing rear springs and installing original rears, THANKS, I am a newbie to this mustang my first was a 69 fastback, have not had a fun car since I was in my 20's

Attachments

• gt side.jpg
    gt side.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 14
  • gt.jpg
    gt.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14

broncojunkie

I could see if it was hitting the quad shocks (which most people remove anyway). I know the inside of my tires on the 88gt will kiss the parking brake cables occasionally, but 275/50 drag tires typically fit with no clearance issues, inside the wheel well. A slightly larger tire, 275/60, will typically require rolling fenders and a little massaging inside the wheel well.

Any idea what springs are on it now? Are they lowering springs or did someone cut the coils?

d90gt

supposedly energy suspension front lower control arms and 1.5" lowering springs and energy control arms on the rear with 1.5" lowering springs, some pics if this helps still new to the forum thing I only had books when I was a kid LOL

Attachments

• under1.jpg
    under1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
  • under.jpg
    under.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 9

broncojunkie

Doesn't take long to swap over the OEM springs. If you do, I would take measurements before and after to see if it's actually 1.5". As I said, I don't believe you should be having clearance issues with that setup....of course, each car seems to be a little different.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Do the tires rub on the inside any or just the outside? From the pics it looks like you may have the wrong offset wheels.
I'm running 315's on the rear of my '93 after removing the quad shocks, rolling the fender lip, and taking a big hammer to the inner fender well. This is also using the Team Z rear drag springs which lower the rear about an 1".
I had 275/60-15's on it before and did not have to clearance the inner fender at all.

d90gt

from looking at the tires its the outside inside looks like enough clearance between the tire and shock, any idea what the offset should be for the wheels? THANKS for all the info, between the wheel lip on the top of the tire I can fit my hand in to about where your fingers would end and the palm would start, not many people sell parts on here seems the classifieds are are older

Redtwilight

Shinigami
from looking at the tires its the outside inside looks like enough clearance between the tire and shock, any idea what the offset should be for the wheels? THANKS for all the info, between the wheel lip on the top of the tire I can fit my hand in to about where your fingers would end and the palm would start, not many people sell parts on here seems the classifieds are are older

For an 8" wide wheel, you will want a backspace of about 5" to 5.5". For a 10" wide wheel you will need a 6.5" backspace.