• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1984 LX exhaust

forango

I recently purchased a 194 5.0 LX 'vert and am looking for info on the proper way to go with headers and getting rid of the cats.. It doesn't appear there is an easy aftermarket option for a catless mid-pipe and the "catback" the previous owner had put on goes pretty much up to under the doors.

Is this normal, and if so is there anywhere that makes the proper pipes to go from headers to the rest of the exhaust?

Also, what is the best header to use for the '84?

broncojunkie

You will need a later "double hump" transmission crossmember. Then, you can use an 86-93 h-pipe or x-pipe. Unfortunately, the epa is cracking down on aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. You can still buy them I think. Ebay had a few. They're almost dried up.

Crossmember:

Or...

***note: The "Stifflers" crossmembers are also very good pieces of you're looking for a heavy duty tubular one.

H-pipe:

Last edited:

broncojunkie

You can have an exhaust shop complete the exhaust from the h-pipe back, or you can purchase a set of "flow tubes" and a cat-back system to have it like factory. LMR even sells an oem hanger kit.

forango

Thanks for the info...I'm gonna get a better look at what is currently there this weekend....I don't think the current exhaust even has H in it