• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1983 GLX 3.8 Radiator

wpassaro

My 1983 3.8 GLX Convertible runs on the hot side. I believe it has an aftermarket single row radiator with the original electric fan.
Would installing a 2 or 3 row radiator with double fans solve the problem - or would it create other problems?83 Mustang GLX engine.jpgMustang profile.jpgMustang profile.jpg

Last edited:

347HO

I suggest a good system clean/flush first.
If that doesn't resolve your cooling issue...
A decent 3row with single fan and shroud, and new thermostat will provide plenty of heat exchange.

Good luck

wpassaro

Thanks. There's so little information on the GLX. Is there any downside to putting a 3 row in? (I'm a bit new at this, so forgive the newbie question)

347HO

Its a bit deeper, and with a fan motor and shroud... Will be about 4" closer to the water pump.
There should be a direct fit, but my experience thus far... Never is. A bracket may need trimming or bending or repositioning.
You may also need to trim the hoses.