• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Your opinion - LSx into Foxbody

AT6svo

As a car guy, I definitely appreciate the potent LS engines GM has been putting out.

I know there have been others that have already put LS motors into a fox mustang (and other fox chassis car). I can appreciate the time & effort it takes to do a swap cleanly but LS motors in foxes are not my style.

Sadly I know a Capri owner that is going this route. The Capri is an 86 t-top that is complete & fairly clean. it makes me sad and there's nothing I can do that will change his mind.

rkuhn

I'm not a fan of it. I'm like you and appreciate the work involved and they can put out some impressive numbers but I believe cheby's should have cheby motors and Ford's should have Ford motors.
It's all about individuality though. People personalizing their own cars to their own liking. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. lol

BANDITGT

I agree with you guys too. My fox will either be an sbf or a bbf . Nothing else.

Sent from my drivers seat on my iPhone5 via Tapatalk

s2h

Honestly...doesnt matter what motor goes in what car....if its yours, and you like it...then its right...

there are quite a few vehicles with very cool swap kits already made for them...
I mean....how about a Mazda Miata with an LS engine...those things are fun and fast after the swap.(though you have to practically be a midget to fit in the car..LOL)

I myself am a fan of the LSx Swap....Doing one myself....

http://forums.corral.net/forums/mixed-platform-engine-drag-racing-tech/1398689-project-blasphemy-lsx-foxbody.html#post11223364
There are a lot of options and choices for a Fox LS Swap....
the hardest part is making sure its a combo of parts that makes sense to your particular needs and wants
like right now, I'm getting ready to buy a Glasstek 86 Dash, a custom plate for gauges, an Ididit Steering column and keyless ignition system...
I could have just re-used the stock dash/gauges/column...but I dont like the 93 dash or steering column, and I want to use all my Holley EFI gauges and my Autometer tach/speedo/fuel gauge.

the biggest challenge is deciding which block, and engine parts you want to use...
if you arent familiar with an LS engine, its not going to be an easy choice and you may make some bad choices unless you have a friend who has modified from a stock LS engine and knows what he/she is talking about.

I myself have had BBC and BBF and Hemi engines in cars in the past....
they all functioned the same
its a Poe-tay-toe / poe-taa-toe kind of thing.

I happen to have had a fast 4th generation camaro with a 408ci LSx, and lots of race goodies...
but I wanted to go faster than my fat ass chassis would allow me to go...
getting a 4th gen Fbody down to 3300 lbs is a large task with lots of cutting/welding/chassis changes....
so much that it becomes unsafe to daily drive the car.so I went with a lighter chassis to begin with, gutted it, and am basically swapping my already working combo into it.
10.5@129mph (all motor) in a 3800lb car is no easy task
with the Fox chassis, I should be below 3000lbs pretty easily(actually shooting for 2600~2800 lbs ish).....should get me into the 9's on motor, and hopefully 7.99 with the giggle gas

and when I'm done.....I'll be happy with my choices...and thats all that really matters.

if you decided to do a swap....do your research, take your time, and you will be happy with the end result.

NotchRacer

Shake and Bake!
I think the motor should match the car. There are so many good engines out there from each manufacturer that swapping in a chevy to a ford or vice versa is kind of whack. My fox came with no engine and I had a 396ci BBC sitting in the garage just waiting to be smooshed in there to go racing. Instead I put a 351C in it. The motor must match the car IMO. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate someone else's vision and work, just not my thing. And those foreign swaps with USA metal under the hood, well that's how they should have came in the first place! :)

Blown347

Staff member
Ok I'm definitely stuck in my ways here. Probably in my DNA, lol. But almost every drag strip I've ever been to always has THAT guy. It's an aero nose fox with some Chevy motor (usually some sbc, 350, 383, etc but not always) and he ALWAYS puts a tampon, I mean bowtie on the front. And both ford and Chevy guys are like WTF when they see it. I personally can't stand it, but whatever floats your boat I guess. Definitely blasphemy :p

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think it should be done. But to each it own

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

s2h

Not a fan of the LSx in a Fox concept.

why not...the LS Motor is just a small block ford that has been redone for an oil pump in the front instead of a distributor gear drive

you can even bolt heads and head gaskets on them.....all the ports line up...

John2002

I guess it a LS motor , Mustang sub frame and ford 9 inch rear axle in a 48 Plymouth and a lot of trips to the fabrication shop....Its a love hate thing when you start going that route. If you ever watch any Barrette-Jackson auctions it seems to be the norm.

FOX_SVT

In the burnout box
I prefer a factory appearance under the hood along with a clean factory exterior. If a car fitting this description can put up numbers at the track, I like it even more.

s2h

I prefer a factory appearance under the hood along with a clean factory exterior. If a car fitting this description can put up numbers at the track, I like it even more.

yes... but a stock motor with a factory appearance wont run 7's in the 1/4 mile.... mine will ;)

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
Ford needs to stay ford gm stay gm...LS engine belong to camaros...5.0's or mod 4.6 belong in our ponies...no need to mix n match...cool concept I guess but not for true mustang fans...my opinion

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk