• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Yeah, the new "old guy"

John2002

Just a quick "hello" not sure on all the whozee -whatzee to this site yet, gonna take a while to figure out a new site. I was on FoxMustang Gt forum for a few years but lost it about a month ago. Our Mustang was supposed to be a H-D motor cycle but that was a big "NO" from the wife!!! "WE" have had it for 4 years (this December) and haven't found enough things to do to it. It was in good shape when we got it and its in better shape now then I thought I would get it to. Mostly stock under the hood and interior and we got rid of that no-use luggage rack for a rear spoiler and third brake light. I'm replacing the headers again (BBK Ceramic) and getting rid of the cats for an X-pipe. I did the shocks/struts/brake the first winter and haven't stopped . Just last month I had the motor and trans mounts replace and sub frame connectors installed and a new oil pan gasket ...much better ride now and no more oil spots on the garage floor. Its just about to the end of our season here in Chicago for convertibles so any chance of sunshine and 70 degrees is good enough for me to take a ride....I'll figure out how and post some pictures....

Thanks...

John2002

Suffering from a nagging back ache since Sunday morning. Didn't make it to work today...man is it boring when you can't move.....Thanks for the "Welcome" to the site. Whats a "Trophy" ? I was able to put some pictures somewhere Monday. Just 4 of certain stages of work verses money steps in the long road back. Like I said it was in good shape when I found it at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership near the house, all most 99 percent of the interior was intact and the worst of the exterior was some rust spots around the fuel gate and the door molding were pulling away at the ends. The first winter when I got it off the ground up on jack stands, the rear shocks began to leak.....oil!!!

Blown347

Staff member
You get trophies for things like number of posts, likes etc.

Yea the maintenance never stops with our 20+ year old cars! Where are you from? I'm in California so no worries for rust here :)

John2002

Small suburb just west of Chicago, no Mayberry but pretty quiet after 8 o'clock at night. I kinda have a goal with the car when it comes to what I remember when they first came back out in 82, I was working at a small factory when one of the guys in the office got a hard top GT. It sounded great and looked even better...Other then the weather and what my insurance says about driving it, ( Pleasure ) I would drive it as often as possible. I work next to a quarry and the dust that blows over our parking lot could fill Lake Michigan twice over.

Welcome to the site. Give us some more particulars on your fox. From what you already mentioned I assume you have a GT vert. What year, and post some pics when you get that figured out.

John2002

S5000216.jpg S5000354.jpg S5000389.jpg S5001326_2.jpg I figured out how to make my own album, I put up 4 from the first winter we had it. I'll add them to this reply.
Yeah, its a convertible...I should say it a convertible almost all of the time. I really don't like taking that boot on/off what so ever...and taking it out with the threat of rain....NO!

I understand about the boot. My dad had an 84 GT Vert my senior year of hs which was in Hawaii (My dad is USMC Ret.) I was lucky enough to get to drive it to school fairly often, I never drove home with the top up and if the top was down, the boot was on. My friends that rode home with me got pretty frustrated with the whole process. Of course the power mechanism didn't work so the top had to be lowered manualy. I have an album on here with some pics of it.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

John2002

Our last car show was a few weeks ago, almost 800 cars for a Lyons Club of America fund raiser, it was 75 degrees and sunny at 2 in the afternoon. Coming home it was 64 degrees, heat on high and windows up...the wife was a trooper.....

Couldn't see the pics on my phone. I never thought I'd ever say those turbines look better than those chrome steel wheels, lol. The spoiler looks great too. I'd ditch the cheese graters if I were you. Any plans for the winter?

John2002

Yeah if they'd ever were to break I'd have to think hard about what to replace then with. The lens's are really hard to brighten up with some many years of being polished over. I made a few trip to the part store for items off the BBK parts catalog. Ceramic headers, X pipe, strut tower brace and some Moog Sway bar bushings. If we get a warm winter like last I should have it all under way before X-mas. I got a good torpedo heater and lots of cardboard...I got those rims off of Craig's list, guy said they were sitting in his ma's basement for 22 years.... still had the clear coat on them. Guess what he wanted for them.....LOL on the plate. I wanted "SUMMER" it had already been taken....
Thanks...