• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

struts/shocks difference between 5.0 and 4cyl

Hello everyone ive done research but confused about it so i have a 4 cyl. But will be doing a 5.0 swap so i want to lower my fox and replace shocks and struts because i still have stock and shocks are leaking now. But seems like 5.0 shocks struts dont fit 4cyl. What are the reasons? What will i have to do to fix this issue?

Blown347

Staff member
The 4 cyl uses a different k member and rear end. If you do a v8 swap you will have to get a v8 k member and the struts will fit. Your rear end is a 7.5", v8s have an 8.8" I'm pretty sure the 7.5 will work with a swap but the 7.5 is a weak rearend, better to get an 8.8. They can be had for pretty cheap. :)

Blown347

Staff member
Whats a k member? And use of it? ...so i should might as well do a 5 lug conversion. Do sn 95 rear ends and front knuckles work on fox body?
The k member is the big frame piece under the motor. The motor mounts attach to it, as well as the a arms, which is what the struts and spindles attach to. You don't necessarily need to do a 5 lug, but it would make te process easier if you do it now (if you plan on it) since everything has to come off anyway.

Blown347

Staff member
And yes an sn95 rear end and spindles/ caliper brackets will all fit, but you will have to get new control arms to mount the rearend. (Or use the stock ones from the sn95, those will fit too)

Thanks i was undecided if to go with 5 lug conversion but with the info im getting now i will do a 5 lug conversion what mustangs can i get the k member i need?

Blown347

Staff member
Thanks i was undecided if to go with 5 lug conversion but with the info im getting now i will do a 5 lug conversion what mustangs can i get the k member i need?
Any 87-93 v8, GT or LX. Im not positive but earlier years might be the same too. But if you're doing the swap, I would consider an aftermarket k member, such as UPR, AJE, Team Z. They're WAY lighter, more room to work on exhaust, and just a much better piece.

So as im looking through the different brands k members that you mentioned to me and find one called QA1 what you think of this brand? Also this is a street daily driver with some mods i will do like probably top end work what k members models should i be looking at?

Blown347

Staff member
QA1 is pretty decent too. For street duty you should get a mild steel k member, not chromoly. The only one rated for street duty is actually the UPR piece. So I would go with that one.

Ok im looking at them but seems like theres a couple different ones of that brand but all say chrome moly is that what you mean not to go with? Can you maybe send me a link of one that. You recommend??

Blown347

Staff member
Yes chromoly is lighter and technically stronger, but it's brittle so to speak and bumps and street use can cause it to crack. Look for mild steel. I'll find a link but mild steel is the cheaper one