• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Signal light/high beam indicator

Algsey

I just purchased an 85 GT. Car is in amazing shape with only 29k original miles. However, there are a few things not working. One being the in dash signal indicators not working. Signal lights do work. And the second is the high beam indicator. High beans do work. Also, all other dash lights and gauges work. Any ideas??

81Notch

You may just have some burned out bulbs in the instrument cluster. The left turn signal indicator in my 1981 was not working, nor was the high beam indicator. A couple weeks ago I pulled the instrument cluster out far enough to replace all ten of the Type 194 bulbs. Figured I would just do all the bulbs while I had the cluster out. I now have a working left turn signal and high beam indicator. Before replacing the bulbs, my turn signal and high beams both worked, just the indicator lamps were out.

At first I could not pull the cluster out far enough to get my hand in there to disconnect the speedometer cable, so I disconnected a mount in the engine compartment that secures the speedo cable to the body and that gave me plenty of slack to pull the cluster out far enough to depress the tab on the cable and disconnect it from the cluster. Then I removed the right side wiring harness, and was able to pull the cluster out far enough to replace every bulb without having to disconnect the two wiring harness connections on the left side.

Also, I went to Advance Auto and they wanted $3.50 ea. for the Type 194 bulbs. I got on Ebay and ordered a 10 pack for $8.45.

81Notch

LMR video on how to remove the instrument gauge cluster. Again, I was not able to do this until I created more slack in the speedo cable by disconnecting it from the body in the engine compartment, but that was simple to do.

One Owner 1982

I’ve had some luck with connectors from parts geek and rock auto. They had the fan control connector repair kit for my 1982 GL