• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear end decision help

Fox331

Trying to plan out my rear end and could use some input. I've always had Eaton posi units but this time I'm going with 4.10's an wanted to try something new. I daily drive my car so I'm not sure which one would be better for me.

I was debating between a Detroit locker & 33 spline axles or a spool & 33 spline axles.

Any input is greatly helpful.

Thanks all!

Sent from my EVO

7-Up

Even the "soft lockers" (Lock Right, etc.) are harsh.
Have you driven on the street with a spool or a Locker?
They want to make the car go straight, all of the time, like a John Deere.
Squeals inside tire in slow turns.
Twists axles (leading to axle fatigue and snap @ differential) constantly.
Herky jerky like a 4x4 with the front hubs locked, on dry pavement.

What would you gain from either one over a clutch type?

All depends on what you're after.
JMO.

Does anyone else think it's a little ironic that fox331 started this thread with the avatar they are using? lol Sorry I have no useful information on this subject, gl with your decision.

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Trying to plan out my rear end and could use some input. I've always had Eaton posi units but this time I'm going with 4.10's an wanted to try something new. I daily drive my car so I'm not sure which one would be better for me.

I was debating between a Detroit locker & 33 spline axles or a spool & 33 spline axles.

Any input is greatly helpful.

Thanks all!

Sent from my EVO
do not go with a detroit locker if you are daily driving it.. I have a 2009 Shelby GT500 with a Detroit Locker and it terrible for a DD with it.