• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pushing coolant (under boost?)

sleeprtsi

Trying to figure out what I might be looking at before I start digging into this. Engine was rebuilt at some point , may or may not have run nitrous on rebuilt engine and may or may not have been forced induction at that point. Top end is an edelbrock Systemax (heads, cam and intake). Has a vortech supercharger running 5 psi of boost, and I'd guess it's not pulling timing under boost. Plugs didn't show detonation and looked rich or cold except for cylinder 8 which looked like it might be burning some oil.

I'm assuming it's pushing coolant out under boost or lifting the heads, but it won't pull from the reservoir which seems odd to me. I assume I have a bad head gasket or need better cylinder clamping?

sleeprtsi

What is it doing, exactly? Losing coolant? Overheating? Smoking?
Sorry for the delay, it's been a hectic week.

It pushes it out of the overflow. I don't see any smoke under full load and boost, but I'm doing 60+ at that point so it would be hard to see. Looking at the plugs, I don't see evidence of burning coolant. I think the coolant system is getting pressurized

347HO

The block and cylinder head need a slightly different mill cutter to aid with sealing. Being very flat is most important.
In the past, I never used an o-ring style gasket. Just good machining and good copper gaskets.
I also suggest using head studs, not bolts. Doing this will assist equal torque and clamping force.

87SSP

I'm pushing 15lbs on a hard acceleration with no issues with loosing coolant. Maybe you just have a weak cap? Is it getting pushed back to the overflow bottle?