• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newb

Blue66chero

So I'm new here I explore the option I've been looking for a fox body for a couple of months and I live in Las Vegas I would think there's a plethora of them around here but just can't seem to find one. I do have tons of mechanical experience and have a love for Fords (own a 1991 F-350 cclb 4x4 "tank" and a 66 Ranchero with a 393w stroker) so I'm here to introduce myself and add to the already knowledgeable forum member base here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broncojunkie

Welcome! And good luck on your search. I know they're getting scarce around here. You will run into one, eventually. I ran into 3 and ended up taking 2 home, lol!

I'm from the other coast, so I doubt I would be much help, but someone on here might be able to help out.

Blue66chero

8e7uvytu.jpg

The new whip... Not sure what to name it yet but that'll come later... It's an 89 fox 5spd 5.0 hatch... It has 215/60/16 tires on cobra wheels id like to go wider but not sure what will fit??... Pretty sure they're 16x8 wheels.. Any how it needs some minor cosmetic fixes but nothing major

lyonmt

Sweet, good luck with it!

FYI, be careful with the wheels, I have seen the wider Cobra R's rub.

Blue66chero

I'd like to repaint the car just isn't in the cards right now it also has some other small issues I'd like to address before I spend money on a new paint job. Can't seem to figure out why it only gets 14mpg?? Doesn't seem like it has tons of power so I don't think it's gt too big of injectors but I guess I won't know until I pull them...

lyonmt

Big injectors alone will kill mpg and possibly lose hp. Mismatched performance parts can be detrimental.

83stang

There a dime a dozen around Austin Tx area. Check out creags list. The 88-93 are plenty ones like mine are pretty hard to find.

Blue66chero

Question... I had to put a new rear end in the car and it's leaking oil out of the welded plugs in it? Any one ever have this problem before and how do I fix it? Re weld the holes or what?

Blown347

Staff member
Question... I had to put a new rear end in the car and it's leaking oil out of the welded plugs in it? Any one ever have this problem before and how do I fix it? Re weld the holes or what?

Uh, oh that's not a good sign. Those plug welds are there to hold the axle tube into the center housing after it is pressed in from the factory. If it is leaking, that means the weld has failed, which is a good sign that either the axle tube has spun, or that it at least had a lot of stress put on it. This is a structural issue, so if you just reweld the hole your not going to get down to the axle tube. My advice would be to reweld the hole so it seals, but you need to have the tubes welded all the way around (where they enter the center section.) this is best done on a rearend Jig to have them straightened first. Most 8.8s will bend the axle tubes with almost any kind if torque put to them.

Blue66chero

Great.... I may have to put the other rear end I have back in and just swap axles then...

Blown347

Staff member
Great.... I may have to put the other rear end I have back in and just swap axles then...

If your in a jam that'd be a good idea. I wouldn't drive it like that at all. Even if you can't afford to right now, I would consider having that housing fixed up sometime in the future. Any significant power is going to eventually just keep wearing out housings. If you have that one welded up you'll never have to worry about it again. Even if the replacement doesn't turn the tubes, they all bend which causes axle bearings to fail excessively, ride height to be uneven, etc.

Blue66chero

Next question is... What's the most common axle spline in the 8.8 with a limited slip? Both axles I have look to have the same style limited slip but I didn't check axle splines... I guess that should have been first... Thanks for the info

Blown347

Staff member
Next question is... What's the most common axle spline in the 8.8 with a limited slip? Both axles I have look to have the same style limited slip but I didn't check axle splines... I guess that should have been first... Thanks for the info

Most of them are 28. All foxbodies have 28. Select ford vehicles came with 31, I can't remember which though