• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Racer X

IMG00359-20120519-1014.jpgView attachment 189 Hello New member here....I am 48 & just getting started on my 81 coupe Autocross/Street car. Working on posting some pics. I am going for a light weight Autocross/Street Car stroked 351w 5-speed big brakes big tires Griggs torgue arm & coil-overs on all four corners. I have picked up a 82 GT frontend.....Any suggestions of or recommendations if anyone has setup a similar car please forward them. I am on the hunt for front & rear Aluminum bumpers & interested in other ways to save weight so me your ideas......Don

yOU ARE THE SECOND ONE TO MENTION THE ALUMINUM BUMPER REINFORCEMENTS i THOUGHT THEY WERE A MYTH BUT i'D LOVE TO SEE THEM WHEN U DO FIND A SET. WELCOME TO THE SITE.

madspeed

dont know if a previous owner installed or not, but they were on when i got. One was a 90, the other a 91, both GT's

Welcome. It looks to be a great start! The 82 G.T. Nose will really change the look of your coupe.

Nice! Can't wait to see the updates as you go.

P.S. Let me know if you ever get an extra front aluminum bumper reinforcement you want to sell. I have the rear but missing the front for my project.

Yeah! that would be great if you know of one. I purchased a front fiberglass rebar from Maier Racing in late 82 or early 83 for my new 82 G.T. at the time. I have looked to see recently if they still carry it, but do not any longer.

It seems like Maier now only makes limited items for the 87-93 but mostly focuses on newer than that into the 2010-12 cars.

I would sure like to find a nice clean aluminum piece that hasn't been bent, corroded or repaired. as that would be my priority.

If you know of one, or even a fiberglass unit available please let me know. Thanks........

Racer X

I believe the earlier fox bodies aluminum bumpers are a lil different than the 87-93 if I recall correctly. From what I seen the come randomly on the front, rear or both? I do want to keep so I will have some protection against minor accidents. If I can find aluminum units I will take the plasma cutter to the stock steel ones to reduce some weight. I am in the tear down stage & will post some pics soon.

Welcome to the site Racer X. Sounds great. Can't wait to see the pic's.

Thats correct, 79-86 years are all the same shape either in steel or aluminum. (front years the same) and (rear years the same). They are more common to see as heavy steel units. The lighter aluminum ones were usually used on the 4 cylinder cars and some 6 cyls. (but not all cars) as I have had.

Not sure about V/8s. Your right about them being used randomly, it was definately hit and miss.

I have had many original condition 79 pace cars over time and only found two with them between them all. My new 82 G.T. was steel on both front and rear. (Ford probably figured the G.T. would be more suspect to front end hits with the G.T. power at the time. Or maybe they were just more expensive to make than steel as aluminum was still high.

However I would have thought Ford would have used them more often for weight and fuel savings on all Fox Mustangs.

I.M.H.O. I don't think the fiberglass rebar is as dangerous as it sounds. I did have the Maier piece new on the 82 G.T. and held the front cover correctly. No, Never wrecked it, but actually when these cars are hit in front, they usually tear the 3 bolt mounting eyelets on each side from the bumper shocks anyway, (Even on the steel cars).

I know what you mean about having the steel or aluminum rebar still there in a wreck, and possibly the fiberglass desolving into pieces. But the bumper shocks and frame rails will be the strongest part of the front before hitting the engine anyway. At that point I am not sure if it is an issue. But thats just me talking. I always live on the razors edge!

Sounds great Racer X Can't wait to see the pic's.

P.S........... I Still need the aluminum front reinforcement if someone has a spare to sell. or fiberglass.

80 Cobra.....