• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New here

FloorIt

Always loved the Fox Mustang. Finally got one in 2018. My son and I bought it. He had it in his garage for a few years but then moved out of state so I got to to keep it at my house. Last summer I used it for my daily driver for three months. The 2.73 rear gear was horrible. It is a 5 speed but was like having 3 speeds for the city and two overdrives. Finally I took it in and had a 3.73 installed and it is a whole different car. Not only does it get out of the hole a lot quicker, but you can actually drive in 4th gear on a main road in town. Still turns only around 2100 at 70 mph on the freeway.

The car had some issues when we bought it, but the undercarriage was very clean as it had spent much of its life in Arizona. But we had to change out the radiator, water pump, fuel tank, oil pan, clutch cable, balance the drive shaft to get rid of a shake on the freeway, and the brakes had to be replaced. Some rust affected it the last few years in Michigan before I bought it, so the transmission cross member had to be replaced. Most of the work was done at a local shop. My son deleted the AC which didn't work anyway, deleted the stereo (we have stereo in the dual exhaust), replaced the headlight fixtures, replaced the sunroof weather stripping. Car had a cold air intake when we got it as well as a recently replaced transmission and a King Cobra clutch.

It is a blast to drive in the summer with both windows open. It never goes out after salt hits the roads.

1707713643857.png
1707713674665.jpeg

FloorIt

Thanks. I do like that color combo. And this was the first Fox we looked at when we started shopping. Our criteria were that it had to be a Fox, v8, manual transmission, fastback, and an LX.

Forgot to mention two annoying issues: it has a main seal leak and when I drive it hard I get copious quantities of blue smoke out the left pipe. Still runs very strong though. Between the main seal leak and the smoking it gets about 225 miles per quart of oil.

I always look for oil-sotted parking spaces to park in so it does not ruin a clean spot. I have at times put a pan underneath to protect pavement. At home it is on a plastic sheet with cardboard and old towels over it. This particular parking lot that I had to used daily had a lot of such parking spaces:
1708401593658.png

broncojunkie

Excessive crankcase pressure can cause seals to blow out. She might just be getting tired. I would start with a compression test. Also check the pcv, which is a little hard to get to. There's a screen in there that can clog up. It's on the rear of the lower intake, back toward the firewall.

FloorIt

Excessive crankcase pressure can cause seals to blow out. She might just be getting tired. I would start with a compression test. Also check the pcv, which is a little hard to get to. There's a screen in there that can clog up. It's on the rear of the lower intake, back toward the firewall.
Thanks. Checked last fall. Engine hot and idling, I get a slight suction at the oil fill opening. After that I changed the screen on the pvc and the pvc rattles. Engine may be getting a bit tired at 155,000 miles but she sure runs strong.

Local shop can change out the main seal for under $1000. Might go for it.