• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 1986 GT Beater

AT6svo

Quick summary. I bought this car for $1000 right before the Cash for Clunkers BS happened. It was really beat down, it did not pass smog (which is why the PO was selling), and needed TLC.

Unfortunately it also has a salvage title, it took a front end hit at one point, which is why it has an LX front bumper cover. I always wanted and 86 GT and one with t-tops, ideally in Regatta Blue but white is also a favor fox color of mine. I could care less about the salvage title.

This is the history of the car:

My 86 GT needed some love, so it got some in the form of upgraded 11 disk brakes (stock units were 10") newer front LCA's, spindes, and calipers, new camber caster plates, newer struts & shocks, and newer springs.

This is what the car more or less looked like when I bought it. Just not a fan of tenholes. Now on to the wrenchin!
86gtog.jpg

Bits for the rear:
P1020486.jpg

Rear pieces installed.
P1020488.jpg

All the parts for the front, minus the CC plates:
P1020489.jpg

Front buttoned up:
P1020491.jpg

My eyeball alignment was pretty damn good, but it's off to K&S in Kearny Mesa to get it professionally dialed in.
P1020492.jpg

Next on the mod list are installing the STB and getting the MM full length SFCs welded in.

AT6svo

I eventually added MM FLSFC's, MM CC plates, and MM STB. Made a monumetal difference having a t-top.

Then i went to town on some of the cosmetics.

I gave the 86 some more loving. This time mostly all cosmetic.
Got the trim sanded down and taped off to repaint it back to the correct dark grey.
86gt6.jpg

It took a few hours to get it all taped off. I used the SEM Charcoal Grey.
86gt7.jpg

After it was all painted, in an effort of futility, I detailed the trashed factory paint. The hood and hatch are not the orignal pieces that came on the car.
86gt1-1.jpg

It shines but pics make it look better than it really is. Still, much better than it was.
86gt2-1.jpg

86gt3-1.jpg

86gt4-1.jpg

The original light grey carpet was removed & thrown away. The new(er) darker grey carpet is from an 86 Mercury Cougar fromat Ecology. The door panels are from an 84 GT. The drivers seat foam and skins are from a passenger seat pulled from the yard, the frame underneath is original. Even the floor mats are from the junkyard, a complete matching set even.

86gt5-1.jpg

AT6svo

Some temporary different shoes and rare ones at that - Boyds 16x8 in 4 lug. These will end up on the 84.5 GT Turbo Anniversary mustang.

Was:
86gt1-1.jpg

Is
2012-01-29122948.jpg

Was:
86gt2-1.jpg

Is:
2012-01-29122905.jpg

AT6svo

The car has a hurt motor (low compression #6 cylinder) which is why it had problems passing smog. Since I've owned it I've driven it everywhere inspite of the problem (it just burns A LOT of oil). I've driven her up to Canada with some highway 1 time, Laughlin, NV, Phoenix, AZ and out to Yuma, AZ countless times. Never left me stranded. I have a newer roller 5.0 getting cleaned up that will be replacing the stock ~150k mi motor in the near future.

Great sourcing of used parts! Your 86 is looking good. Amazing what a little clean-up and some parts do to the looks of a car. It's really coming along great.

rkuhn

Looks like a solid car!!! You've done a great job so far. Can't wait to see your future progress. Would love to see some pics of that 69 in the garage as well. My first car was a 69 coupe. Would love to have another one!!!

Look's like the last Mustang I had 14 years ago. Mine was an 85 GT, I prefer 85's to 86's but that's just me.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

89stang1

good looking 4 eye!! wish i held onto my 86 black t-top gt was a mint car but then again it was only three years old i owned from 89 to 91.....that car wasnt in the plans after my daughter was born traded her in on a new jeep cherokee laredo:(