• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 1981 LX

AT6svo

This is the car that started it all for me. This was my first car and I still own and cherish it. It originally was a carb'd 2.3 4 speed plain jane base model car red exterior, red interior.

It now has an EFI 5.0 explorer motor, T5, SVO K member, IRS, coil overs, cobra brakes and black interior w recaros. This is my baby out of all my cars.

Here she damn near brand new.
Pony5.jpg

In High School
Pony3.jpg

Now
81dsfront.jpg

Eventually will look something kinda of more like this:
bluecobra3.jpg

Engine Before:
eng_bef.jpg

Engine after
81engine.jpg

My reupholstered Recaros I found in the Junkyard
seats5.jpg

Nice job on the 81, You really did some nice mods on it, I really like the material choice and the job you did on the recaros. I'll have to do that to mine, they are factory orange plus never liked that material pattern, Yuk, That power plant choice must have really gave it a shot of adrenaline too. The stock rear spoiler choice is you made is great. They really need that in the rear to balance out the shap edges, So many people put that rounded 84-86 spoiler on the older ones and I think makes the car look frumpy on the sharper bumper edges. Yours came out great. You have quite a fleet. Nice... :jimlad:

I like how you did the A/C and P/S delete and kept the Smog on the engine, The same set up I will be using. What size belt did you use?

rkuhn

Very nice car!!! That's cool that you still have your first car and great mods on her. That thing will be over the top if you make it look like that blue Cobra. That thing is awesome. Great color!

Blown347

Staff member
Brings back memories of my first car, 1984 GT. black with grey interior. Mine never looked as nice as yours though. It was a beater with a carbed motor and a manual choke haha. Nevertheless, I loved it and wish I still had it.

That will look awesome wrapped in blue. And that engine bay is gorgeous

AT6svo

Thanks all for the comments. I will be dustiing this car off again soon. She's been hibernating in the garage for well over a year. I have an 79 - 82 GT bumper cover and pace car cowl for her, as well as the hatch louvers that will go on at some time. Going to change the IRS pumpkin from the currrent 3:90's to more freeway friendly 3:27's. Will be driving the car to Canada this summer.

Eiighty Cobra - I'll have to look in the car, that's where I kept the sleeve from when I bought the new belt. I ditched the March eliminator kit and installed the PS delete kit.

fox in SD - My mom bought it new in 81, I was given the keys in 1988, so I've owned it for 25 years. The majority of the big mods were completed in 2006. :D

Thanks, Wasn't sure which P/S delete kit you used. I plan on ditching the power steering, have no A/C just need smog pump to crank and water pump. Should be a pretty short belt. I Planned on just measuring with a string. But thought Id ask. Thanks if you can find the sleeve.

AT6svo

Did some more beautification mods to the ol girl in the form of a 79 Pacecar bumper cover and cowl hood. Not bad consider the bumper cover was black when I got it and rattle canned it!!

Changed out the stock side slats for, some SVO sail panels too.

Bye bye old bumper cover:
2013-07-27095139.jpg

New bumper cover and cowl, attempted to buff out super oxidized paint too.
2013-07-27190245.jpg

Glamor shots:
At the El Cajon cruise night
2013-07-31172909.jpg

Near my house
2013-08-09073608.jpg

At the San Diego Mustang Club by the Bay Show
2013-10-06160605.jpg

Last edited: